chapter 3

beautiful birds passenger

Sebastian

I outlined the stars with my fingers, watching as they all connected. The sound of a door closing behind me made me whip my head around in fear. My one and only thought in my head is, if that's a nurse, I'm dead meat.

"Hello?" I spoke quietly. The figure walked closer, not answering.

"Who are you?" A soft voice penetrated the darkness. She kept slowly walking closer to me.

"Um... my name is Sebastian," I said hesitantly.

"I'm Luna," she answered timidly. When she reached me, she leaned her hand on the parapet, and I finally caught a glimpse of her face. The city lights gave off just enough light that I was able to see her face. Her hair looked brown, but in the dark, it was hard to tell. From what I could see though, she was adorable.

"What brings you here, Luna? It's midnight, it's cold, and you're in a hospital gown which makes it worse," I laughed.

"Well, today I originally had a mission, but I chickened out. A few minutes ago I got another urge and somehow managed to find this place." She explained as her hand wrapped around a tall machine and pushed it out of her way.

"Is that an IV drip?" I asked.

"Yes, it sure is."

"How did you get that all the way up here?"

"I carried it up the stairs," she smiled.

"That's like four flights of stairs."

Luna shrugged and looked up at the sky. "It wasn't that bad. I don't get to do much around here so I enjoy a little hard work every now and then." I looked at her IV and followed all the tubes that connected to her body. It must be annoying, and painful, to have tubes constantly stuck in your body.

"Why are you out here?" She asked, turning to me accusingly.

Something about her just made me want to tell her everything. Not just why or how I got on the roof, but everything. I haven't had anyone else to talk to, besides my therapist. Maybe that was just it. I was lonely.

"Well, I've been in this hospital for what... I can't even remember. A couple of years probably. I haven't been outside in forever. I come up here sometimes to escape, and I write. Or I watch the stars and I breathe. I found this place just recently."

"I've been here since I was eight, this is my first time being outside in nine years. I'm not allowed to leave the hospital. Not even to go home," she said. Luna's voice sounded like how velvet feels and it seemed to put my mind at ease.

"What's wrong with you? Cancer?" I asked. This question had become redundant since that's the only sentence that actually brings entertainment to my boring life, but most of the answers were the same.

"Ha. I almost kind of wish it was, then at least I'd know what's slowly killing me. They don't know. I have a disease. They said I wouldn't make it past my twenties. No one knows what it's called or how to cure it, just how to stop most of the pain. They are all worried that living outside the hospital will make my life shorter, so I'm not allowed to leave so they can 'prolong my life'," she explained bitterly.

"I'm in the mental health ward," I said.

"Why?"

"I have depression and my parents think I'll try to kill myself again so they put me in this place," I explained, "I was only suicidal one time and my depression has gotten so much better and they still keep me here. Some days are darker than others, but I have been feeling well enough to go home."

"My parents did the same thing," Luna said. She looked cold, only wearing her hospital gown as she sat on the ledge. I unzipped my black sweater and walked over slowly. She gave me a small smile as she hesitantly let me drape it on her shoulders.

"Thank you, Sebastian."

I nodded and smiled awkwardly, sitting beside her, my feet dangling off the edge of the roof. I kicked the ledge with my heels and tried to think of what to say next. All I knew at this moment was how nice it felt to finally have a real conversation with someone.

"So, can we like... be friends?" I asked. There was a long silence that was only filled with our steady breathing and the noisy cars down below us.

"I'd love that. I haven't really had any friends since I left school, and it's kind of lame to say my only friend is my nurse," she chuckled.

"There's no other sick kids you could be friends with?" I asked.

"Nope. I'm one of a kind." She nudged my arm playfully.

I could feel my cheeks beginning to burn, my smile never fading as I felt the presence of this girl beside me. It was an exciting feeling, as I've never talked to a girl close to my age since middle school.

"How old are you?" I asked.

"I'm seventeen." She turned to me.

"I am seventeen as well, it was my birthday a month ago," I smiled.

"Well, happy birthday. Mine was too."

"I think birthdays are stupid," I said.

"Thank goodness someone thinks that too," Luna chuckled, "I just wasn't sure so I said happy birthday anyway."

"You know, we have a lot in common, Luna."

"We truly do. What is your last name?"

"Green. Yours?"

"It's Matthews."

"Well Luna Matthews, come, sit," I patted the space beside me, "and watch the stars with me."

***

a/n: guys I'm really excited about this story. If you like it so far, please vote and comment. I reply to every comment. Much love to anyone who clicked on this story❤️

 Much love to anyone who clicked on this story❤️