chapter 32

the wisp sings winter aid

Sebastian

A tap on the shoulder jolted me awake and I was faced with the frightened faces of an older aged couple, whom I guessed to be Luna's parents.

"Are you Sebastian?" She asked me, her eyebrows knitted together in fear.

I nodded, still dazed and confused since I've just come out of deep sleep.

"He's not half bad looking." I heard the man whisper.

She slapped his chest and I offered out my hand.

"We haven't met formally. I'm Sebastian Green." She shook it hesitantly while her husband shook firmly.

"I'm Denessy and this is my husband, Will." She pointed to the man behind her.

Denessy had long brown hair that curled at the bottoms and brown eyes. She was thinner and had few wrinkles, still young and beautiful like Luna. Will had brown hair as well and a pair of green eyes, just like Luna's. He was quite a muscular guy, and I'm glad he finds me not ugly, otherwise, he might've pounded me into the ground.

"It's nice to meet you." I smiled and she took her hand away, going to find a nurse.

"I'd like to know how my daughter is doing. Luna Matthews. We must see her," she demanded. The woman typed away at her computer.

"I'm sorry but Miss. Matthews is being tested and treated. They will let visitors in when they can be sure what is going on. For now, just rest and relax," she said calmly.

I could tell Denessy wanted to argue and even demand to see her, but she sucked in a breath and walked away, sitting down beside me and crossing her legs.

"So, you and Luna are friends?" She asked. Was I about to be interrogated? I expected this to come, but because of the current situation I was in, I didn't really want to a hundred questions. Maybe it's better to get it over with now.

I nodded. "Yes, were friends."

"Would you say... good friends?" She asked.

"Yeah, we're very close. I care a lot about her."

"How close are you?"

I didn't want to say we were in a relationship and maybe put them on edge or make them mad at Luna, but their first impression of me shouldn't be that I'm a liar.

"We are... we're um..." I was at a loss for words.

"Dating?" She asked.

I nodded. This was so... weird. I've never even dated a girl before, let alone had to meet any parents and discuss it.

"I see," she sighed, "I'll have to get to know you better because Luna is not stupid so I think she must have a good reason for choosing you."

"I don't know if there is any, Mrs. Matthews. I'm nothing spectacular."

"So you're mentally ill?" Her father cut in.

"Will!" Denessy scolded.

"It's okay, Mrs. Matthews. And yes, I have depression. I also have anxiety but it's not bad I can control it. I'm better, I feel fine," I explained calmly.

"So that's why you were in the hospital then," he said. I nodded in reply.

"Well, how did this idea of running away come about? Who's idea was it?"

"The main idea to run away was mine, but Luna voiced to me her opinions about how much she hated the hospital daily. I also hated it, so one day after visiting my parents they let me take the car back to the hospital. But then I decided I didn't want to stay, and Luna agreed, and we left.

"We went to my house and my little brother packed us some bags while we waited outside, gave me my savings, and we left. Trust me though, I wouldn't have done this if I knew I didn't have enough money or a safe car or road smarts. I was prepared, we were safe."

They were both intently listening as I explained to them why their daughter mysteriously vanished from the hospital in the middle of the night, which they seemed to loosen up to the idea of it now.

"You know that gave us a heart attack," she said sternly, "but after hearing how calm she was, we knew she knew what she was doing. We were obviously terrified every minute of every day, but we didn't interfere for her sake. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I just got in my car to come to get her but ended up changing my mind," she explained.

"I'm sorry about that. For scaring you. At the moment, I didn't care about anything but leaving. I absolutely hate it there."

"It's alright."

I knew it wasn't okay because now her daughter was in the hospital in a worse state than when she left New York, but I didn't open my mouth again.

Will grabbed Denessy's hand and squeezed it tightly, probably reassuring her. She leaned her head on his shoulder and eventually fell asleep, and he did shortly after.

I got up and went to the cafeteria to grab chocolate milk and a sandwich.

It was pretty decent, for being hospital food. The lettuce was a little limp, but I haven't eaten in a while.

The atmosphere felt just as if I never even left. It felt just like in New York. The sterile smell, the sound of heart rate monitors, people in different coloured gowns roaming the halls in their little hospital slippers.

It was a little different on my end. I had the mental patients, so I had the screaming and the weird smell that didn't smell like hand sanitizer. This environment was kind of different, but still the same if you think about it in the grand scheme of things.

I worked my way back to the waiting room and found Luna's parents still sleeping, and I sat down and eventually fell asleep too.

a/n:

Hope you liked it please vote if you did💞