chapter 41

bad days chance pena

Luna

The following day was calming but stressful at the same time which sent me in a confused haze as I sat at the kitchen sink washing some dishes.

I was currently helping Lily make Thanksgiving dinner. She was stuffing the turkey and chatting away on the phone that was tucked between her ear and her shoulder as I scrubbed silverware for dinner.

It's funny to think that this was my first real Thanksgiving in years. Usually, I was in the hospital and my parents would just bring the leftover turkey. It made me happy at the moment but I always sat at night, feeling sad wondering if I would ever get to spend Thanksgiving at home instead of a hospital bed.

"Luna, you can finish those later. I need help with these potatoes," Lily said. I shut the tap off and dried my hands as she handed me the potato masher.

I watched as she poured in some milk.

I felt kind of worried as I gripped the utensil in my hand. What if I wasn't strong enough to mash it? No one wants lumpy mashed potatoes. Well, maybe the few percents of the population.

She left to get some spices and cranberries from the pantry and I started mashing with all my might. I made sure to get all the hard parts done before she got back.

She came in and looked over the steaming pot. "Looks good, honey."

I sighed a breath of relief and set the masher down.

"If you want to take a break and go hang out with the boys I can take care of this for a bit."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah if I need you I'll find you," she smiled, "go on."

I grinned and dragged my machine down the hall behind me into their little living room.

Sebastian and Adam were holding controllers in their hands as they stared intently at the screen, talking with one another.

I sat down on the couch and watched for a few minutes until Sebastian realized I was there. He took off his headset and pecked a kiss on my lips.

"Eww." Adam stuck his tongue out and turned away.

"It won't be long until you start kissing girls," Sebastian laughed.

"Nope. I'm not ever going to kiss a girl."

"What a weird kid. Most kids his age are drooling over girls," I stated.

"Or maybe this is his cover up because he's in love," he joked, dragging out the 'love'.

"I am not! Shut up before mom comes in here and makes a big deal." He punched his older brother's shoulder.

"Okay, whatever you say."

***

"Adam, grab the plates," Lily said. Adam sighed but listened to his mom as he reached into the cupboard and took down five plates.

Soon, Noah came through the door and took off his suit jacket. He also took off his tie and hung it on the coat rack.

"Hey everyone," he beamed, wearing a big, proud smile on his face.

"Hey, dad." Sebastian greeted and hugged his dad quickly.

"You're home just in time. We're setting the plates." Lily walked over and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"Smells delicious. I'm sure you ladies slaved hard over the stove today to make this dinner for us." He joked, sitting at the table.

"Alright, dish up," Lily said as she placed the past pile of silverware down. Noah dished up and then Adam did. I waited until all the boys got their plates. Sebastian sat down beside me and handed me my pills. We both took our medication before we started to eat.

***

"I must say, that was delicious," Adam chimed, rubbing his full belly.

"I agree. I wanna thank you guys again for letting me stay here this weekend and everything," I said.

"Well of course honey. You're not just Sebastian's girlfriend anymore, you're a part of the family," Lily smiled.

"Yeah, you're like a sister," chimed Adam. Everyone nodded sadly but smiled along.

I smiled and shook my head. "Thank you."

Sebastian chuckled and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, hugging me tightly.

"I must say, going back to the hospital after this week will be just awful."

"For us too. I'll miss another girl around the house," Lily laughed. I watched as she glanced over to a picture on the fridge of Liza. She shrugged it off, though.

"Don't worry, I'll be back at Christmas," I reassured her.

"Do you want me to drive you back now?" Sebastian asked.

Well, obviously I didn't want to go back, but it would probably be best. I nodded and went upstairs to pack my bags, shedding a quiet tear as I did so.

a/n: wanna say a huge thank you. I haven't been on my phone much the past few days and I came back to see my story has now 1.9K reads which is amazing. Tysm.

Also thanks to my readers who vote and comment, you know who you are. Love you.

 Love you