chapter 42

medicine daughter

Sebastian

Thirteen days later, Luna's parents called to inform me that Luna had gotten very sick and I had to come to the hospital.

I took Adam with me as we drove to the Bellevue in The Happy Wagon. Despite the cheerful name, nothing about this day was happy.

Adam just stared out the window as he chewed his nails and tapped his other hand on his knee. I couldn't see his face.

It was almost unbelievable that she was just having dinner with us two weeks prior and now she was rushed to the ICU. Life can change in an instant. It always does, but every time is a different surprise.

When I arrived at the hospital I slammed my door and jogged through the doors, being greeted by Denessy and Will in the waiting room. They frantically walked over with apparent fear etched on their faces and I just watched as Adam stood in shock.

"What's wrong? What happened to her?" I asked.

Denessy grabbed my shoulders to calm me down. "Last night Luna couldn't breathe. She went into some kind of coma, kind of like the first one, but this was worse. She's in really bad shape right now but she's awake."

My legs felt weak and my stomach dropped. I kept my composure and just told them to take me to her room, that was the only thing I could manage to get out.

The ICU was a totally different part of the hospital. The environment seemed much more solemn. It was very quiet and eerie.

We made it to her room and when I saw the state she was in, I almost thought I would drop on the floor and throw up the contents of my dinner.

Luna had like three times more tubes connected to her, tainting her beautiful skin. Her face was paler than normal and I walked over. Her breaths were deep and quiet, almost as if they weren't even there.

I just sat there quietly so I could hear her breathing. As I listened I was reminded she was still alive.

I waited and stared at her, waiting for her to open her eyes so I could be entranced by the forest that they were. She didn't, but as long as the monitor kept beeping, I had hope.

Adam just stood by the door, staring at Luna in fear. He didn't say much about her, but I could tell he loved Luna too. In a big sister kind of way. It dawned on me that this must be bringing back bad memories of when Liza was in the hospital and we had to watch her leave us. It was really traumatic for him.

After I built up the courage to leave her bedside, I walked over to him and pulled him in for a tight hug. His arms gripped my torso tightly and I could feel his pain radiating from him.

"Sebastian, what if she never gets better again?" He whispered.

What was I supposed to say? I couldn't say she would get better, because if she wasn't going to get better then I would be lying to him. She definitely will keep getting worse, we've all known it.

"Don't worry, Adam. We'll see where life takes this. It's all in the hands of the stars now."

He nodded into my chest and I just rubbed his back as we both stared at the small girl who seemed to have the biggest impact on any person she met.

When I left the room, Denessy was in the hall crying. I told Adam to find Will and I went over to her, patting her shoulder.

"Sebastian," She cried. She turned around and wrapped her arms around me. Since she was so short, I could place my chin on top of her head. I rubbed her back as she sobbed into my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," she said as she pulled away, wiping her nose with a Kleenex.

"Don't apologize to me. It's okay to cry." I smiled to try and make this seem a little lighter.

As I walked with her down the hall in silence, I wondered to myself if she could get better. She got bad one time and got better, why would this time be any different?

It sure did seem different. The atmosphere changed. Everything seems totally switched around. This was all such a mess.

We're just these kids in love who have a fascination for stars. Why should we have to go through these kinds of things and watch our loved ones live the nightmares? I used to think that me having depression was the worst thing in the world. But, I think meeting Luna was the best and worst possible thing to ever happen to me.

If I could switch places with her right now I would. Watching her slowly die in a hospital bed was so emotionally exhausting. I don't understand how Luna stays so strong. It baffles me how that girl is so incredible. She's just what makes my heart pump. What gives me the energy to wake up. Why I kept going.

She is so incredible.

a/n: so, what do you think of this chapter? What are your thoughts on Denessy? Adam? Sebastian's current thoughts? How Luna is doing?

If you liked it and it's not too hard, please vote and comment because it means so much to me. Thank you again to everyone who is reading this story and sticking around (even you silent readers ilysm)

Ilyyyy with all my heart. To the moon and back.