chapter 52

winter song the head and the heart

Sebastian

The past few weeks I haven't been allowed to see Luna. Her parents told me she was too sick to see anyone and I could only imagine how she is doing. She must be curled up in a ball in her blue hospital gown, trembling under the blankets and wondering if she would ever feel better, or just continue to get worse.

Something is happening in my family. I can hear it in the silence at the dinner table, see it in the way my parents look at each other. It was so quiet. Adam wasn't talking. He wasn't explaining his days at school and how he beat everyone on the tests. My dad wasn't complaining about colleagues at work. Mom wasn't complaining about the dishes my brother and I didn't wash the night before.

It was silent. Literally.

"What's going on?" I said, placing my fork down.

My mom and dad looked at each other and sighed.

"C'mon. You guys can't pretend this is normal any longer," I said. Adam looked interested in my sudden outburst. Maybe he didn't know what was wrong either.

"Your mother and I have just been in disagreement, Sebastian," my dad said.

"Well, what kind of disagreement?"

My parents just looked at each other and I sat there, waiting for my answer.

"Tell him, Noah," my mom said firmly.

My dad sighed and looked at me. "Sebastian, your mother thinks that we should offer you the option of school again. I said no. I don't think you're ready to go back yet."

I was kind of bewildered. I hadn't thought about school or my old friends in so long. My dad was wrong though, I was ready.

"No, I think I'm ready to go back,"

"Now, are you sure? I don't think that's the best for you-"

-"Dad, I think I know what's best for me. I hope you haven't forgotten, I'm better." I smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

He looked down at his plate, poking at his food. He didn't say anything.

"Should I give the school a call?" My mom suggested quietly.

"Yeah. I guess so," he said. My mom smiled slyly at me and my dad ate the last piece of food on his plate before getting up and going to his office.

"He's not mad, Sebastian. He's just worried you'll get bad again."

"You know, I think as long as I have you, Gus and Luna, I'll be fine."

"That reminds me, how is Luna doing?"

"Bad. Her parents said it's the worst they've ever seen her. Luna usually gets bad and then recovers for a while. Like a cycle. But this time, they said that they think this time... she won't get better."

Adam shook his head.

"That poor girl," my mom said.

"I would give anything to go through the pain, not her. But whatever I guess. It is what it is."

"I hate that saying so much," Adam chuckled lightly a bit.

"You can hate it but it's true,"

"No, it's not. You can change anything if you work hard and put your heart into it,"

"Not all the time Adam. Luna has a terminal disease. Which means she can't get better. Not me, or you, or the smartest of doctors change that. It is what it is."

That shut him up for the rest of the night.

a/n: sorry for the super short chapter. I wanna thank you again bc I don't do it enough. THANK YOUUUUUYY

 THANK YOUUUUUYY