chapter 17

simple as this jake bugg

(attached picture: cliff that Luna and Sebastian climbed)

Sebastian

Luna grabbed a rain jacket from the bag in the back and slipped it on. The sky was grey and cloudy, and the ground was wet with fresh rain and ocean spray. The weather had been more rainy than sunny, which made this even better.

I love the rain.

"So, what now?" Luna asked with her hands on her hips as we stared at the big hill.

"Well, let's climb this and see where it takes us," I said. She nodded and started up the hill.

After a while of just walking, slipping on the wet grass and stopping for breathers, we finally reached the top in half an hour.

The hill overlooked the ocean and I spotted a little lighthouse at the edge of the cliff.

"Come on, I wanna stand on the edge," Luna said, slowly jogging to the edge of the hill.

"Be careful, Luna!" I called after her as I ran. For a dying girl, she seemed more athletic than me.

But I guess we were all dying, weren't we? That is something that can't be stopped.

I finally caught up with her as she stood at the edge, staring down at the waves crashing against the rocks. I felt the salty ocean mist gently touch my face and I smiled at Luna.

Luna ran up a little higher and stood on the ledge. One misstep and she would be sent over the edge into the cold water. Yet this didn't even phase her. Instead, she stuck out her arms. "Look, Sebastian," she said, "I'm on top of the world."

I stared at her, she had a toothy smile on her face, her eyes closed, her arms stretched out as she stood on the edge of the cliff. The soft wind blew her hair back and I wondered if she was even real, if this was even real.

"That you are, Luna Matthews. We're on top of the world." I joined her on the ledge.

"If you stick your arms out like this," she demonstrated, her green sparkling and her hair blowing crazily in the wind, "you feel endless."

I did what she did and watched as her whole body calmed and she closed her eyes.

We both sat down and I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, our legs dangling over the side. It reminded me of the night on the roof.

"It's so crazy," she started.

"What's crazy?" I asked.

"I've been alive for seventeen years, and this is the first moment I've actually felt like I was even alive. I feel unstoppable, Sebastian." She shook her head as the wind blew through her hair.

I felt as if we were the only two people in the world. There was nothing to bother us anymore, nothing to stop us anymore. I used to think my illness could limit the things that made me happy, but here I was, a diagnosed depression patient, sitting on the edge of a cliff with a sea laid out in front of me, and I was okay.

We were okay.

"Tell me a story," I heard Luna say.

I pulled her closer and breathed in the pure air that smelled like fresh rain and let it fill my lungs. I remembered a story I always used to hear when I was younger, and so I began.

"Well, there was this lake," I started. Luna rested her head on my shoulder. "And I used to go on it with my brother and we'd go canoeing and fishing, typical boyish things.

"And one November, this big flock of ducks came and landed on the big lake. All of a sudden the temperature dropped and the whole lake froze right there. Then the ducks flew off, and took the lake with them," I said, "now they say the lake is somewhere in Georgia."

A long silence came after the story and Luna turned to look at me.

"I like that story," she said.

"Me too." I stared at her and she stared back, looking in my eyes and down to my lips.

Luna reached her head up and pecked a kiss, leaving sparks as she pulled away. I grabbed her face gently with my hands and kissed her again deeply, and I felt her smile against me as our noses bumped together.

"Whoops," she giggled.

"Has anyone ever told you how gorgeous you are?" I said to her. I felt my pace quicken at what I said. God, the butterflies.

"No they haven't," she spoke quietly, "thank you, Sebastian Green."

***

a/n: Anyways I hope you liked this chapter, please let me know if you liked it! Thanks for reading and feel free to vote.

I love youuu.