Chapter Thirty Four - Welcome Home

Start from the beginning

"Wh-what? No, no, we-" He began, but Sondra cut him off. 

"Shut up, Ava. I could say the same for you and Loki." She snapped, her face now a delightful shade of crimson. 

"We're engaged, it's allowed," I retorted, before ruffling both of their hair and walking away with Loki and Mari, after Loki had also said his goodnights to everyone. We walked out of the large hall, I opened the door for him and Mari, and then followed him through the long, carpeted corridors. 

"I'm so glad you're back, Loki," I said quietly. He turned to me and gave me a warm smile. 

"I'm glad to be back. Being with you is a bonus," He said with another smile. 

"I'm so sorry about everything that happened, with Tom, I-" 

"Don't. Not now. You don't have to apologise. I believe you, Ava, everything you said. I believe you. I'm sorry for not doing so in the first place," He said, rather calmly. He glanced at me, and then smirked. "I like your dress," he commented. I looked down at my own clothing and laughed. The green dress. 

"Why thank you. Mari picked it for me," I said, and Loki laughed. I smiled back at him and we continued walking until we reached my room. I turned the handle and pushed the door open, and Loki stepped through the doorway and set Mari down in the middle of my kingsize bed. He lifted the covers and tucked her in, and he gave her a tiny kiss on her forehead. 

"May I ask, how come you have taken Mari in?" He asked quietly, and he sat himself down on the edge of the bed. I sat down beside him, being careful not to wake Mari. I took a deep breath before explaining. 

"Both of her parents died in the battle. She had nobody else, and I didn't want her to end up trained and used like Sondra. So I promised that we'd look after her." 

"We?"

"Yes, Loki, me and you," I said, and I panicked for a split second. Did he not approve of this or something? However, my mind was put at rest when he nodded in understanding, and then he smiled at me. 

"I think you'd be a fantastic mother," Loki said quietly, his green eyes staring softly. "To Mari, I mean," He glanced back at Mari and then to me. I didn't really agree with him, but I also didn't want to argue with him. 

"Maybe," I mumbled quietly, "although I think you'd be the better parent," Loki let out a laugh at this, and then had to clutch his injured side as he had clearly laughed a bit too much. 

"Me?" He started, "Ava, I tried to take over New York, I killed thousands of people-"

"And what makes me any different? I started a war which resulted in the killing of thousands of people," I stated. Loki placed his cold hand on top of mine and looked at me almost sympathetically. 

"When you invaded Jotunheim, did you know it was an invasion?" 

"No." 

"And did you have any idea what Sondra's true intentions were?" 

"No, but-" 

"And you also said yourself, that Odin was planning an attack on Jotunheim anyway and you had proof of it. Whereas, my sole aim was to rule over a realm because I wasn't able to rule this one. They're two very different circumstances, Ava, and although you feel incredibly guilty for what you did, your part in it was only tiny. You acted as more of a catalyst than a cause; you did nothing more than quicken the arrival of the war. You did not cause it," Loki said, and he kissed my forehead just as he had kissed Mari's. I smiled and leaned my head on his shoulder. 

"I've missed you," I said, my voice so quiet it was barely even a whisper. Loki squeezed my hand. 

"I'm sorry I took so long," He said, his voice showing a hint of laughter. I chuckled slightly and Loki turned slightly and I lifted my head from his shoulder. He raised my chin ever so slightly with his index finger and he closed the small gap between us with his lips.