Chapter 35

THIS IS IT, GUYS... ENJOY

UNEDITED

That night, Ryan was driving over an hour's drive to River's apartment. He didn't want her to take the bus, but he also didn't want to let her out of his sight. He was honestly worried that when tonight was over, his dream come true will be over too. She said she loves him, even said that from today forward, she wanted to be with him. He didn't trust her wavering mind and wondered if that was going to change.

The deeper they got into the drive, the quieter she became. Clearly, she was thinking. Whether it's about a future with, or without him, he didn't know, but the silence wasn't a good sign.

He maneuvers the truck into the left lane of the highway and passes multiple cars. "What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" He dared to ask.

She looks away from the window and turns to him. "I'm afraid." She had to admit it. She wanted her worries pacified.

"What for?" He picks up her rested hand and doesn't let it go.

"Repeating my mother and sister's past mistakes."

"Can I ask you a question?" He turns the right signal on and changes lanes again.

She nods, and he proceeds. "When you found out about my brother and I's battle over you, what did you do?"

"I left."

"Yeah." He agrees. "Two years later, and I can still only have you in my dreams."

She thought about his statement for a minute, trying to understand, but ultimately she didn't get it. "What's your point?"

"If we were together, and I did something just as stupid, or maybe even stupider, what would you do?"

She doesn't hesitate. "I wouldn't take that. It would be over."

"And when your mother and sister dealt with the problems in their relationships, what did they do?"

Her brows furrowed. He was so freakin smart. "They stayed."
It was like a switch went off in her brain.
She loved him so much that she didn't trust herself not to give 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. She is stronger than she ever gave herself credit for.
She knew what she would accept and what she wouldn't.

"You've already broken the cycle, my love." He affirms.

Her eyes glisten. She did break the cycle. She has to trust herself, and in her heart, she knew Ryan loved her and would never intentionally hurt her. She always knew that. It was her fear of allowing someone to hurt her that made her unable to forgive. You see, she knew that if there was anyone that could make her be a victim of the curse, it was Ryan. She loved him that much. But she sees now that there is no real curse. Her mother and sister's actions were the curse.

He pulls the vehicle into a parking space. They arrived.

His chest visibly releases a breath of dread. "We're here." He swallows. He turns to her and puts his hand on the headrest of her seat. "Listen." He uses his other hand to wipe residual tears from under her eye. "You don't have to make a decision now. I want you to be sure about us because when I have you, I will never let go. You'll have to have dogs gnaw my limbs off."