Chapter 16

UNEDITED

Still at the bowling ally a few seconds later.

Landen picks up a yellow bowling ball and walks it over to River. He pushes the ball to touch her stomach gently as an indication for her to take it. "Don't be like this Ree. It's your turn."

Her eyes divert to the wooden floor as she pushes the ball back. "I'm sorry. I really don't want to be." Her emotions were hard to fake. How could she play, and smile, and laugh, when she felt so crappy. "But...I can't hide that it hurts a little."

"We're best friends." He claims. 

"Yeah." She sits down and begins switching back to her regular shoes hurriedly. "I guess I'm just not feeling bowling so much anymore."

Come on Ree." He clamps down his jaw. "Being friends is much better than being siblings. I mean, look at mine, and Ryan's relationship."

"I have to disagree." She grabs her bag and throws it over her shoulder. "I just need some time to get over this." Her feet begin taking steps to the exit.

"Wait River, I'll take you home." He sets the ball down and follows her. He could barely contain his constant edging teeth. He was irritated. His plans were completely spoiled, and to top it off, he hurt her. All thanks to neon and pink.                                                                                                                                  

The car ride back was like a thinking zone. Both of their minds raced, but neither spoke. It was only when he pulled into the driveway and put the car in park, that they snapped out of it. "Ree." He pauses while gripping both hands onto the steering wheel. "I really didn't want it to be like this. I honestly need more time, but I would much rather you know than be hurting."

A confused Ree unbuckles her seatbelt and turns to leans herself against the window. "Is everything okay?"

"No." He clears his throat. "Ever since you came back..." He keeps his glare on the windshield. "I can't help... feeling attracted to you."

She blinks. "What?"

"I like you, Ree, more than a brother should, more than a best friend should."

"Haha. This is a joke, right? Not the best way to lighten the mood, Brenner."

His brows knit together. Surprisingly, the last reaction that crossed his mind. He turns, inhales, and puts singular concentration onto her eyes. "I'm serious."

She blinks again. Then she suspiciously squints her eyes and examines him carefully. He had to be kidding, but he didn't look like he was. "If this is some sort of prank, it's not funny."

"I couldn't be more genuine." His humorless gaze didn't falter

After a much too long silent moment, her mouth unlatches itself. "Landen, you change girls like you change clothes." It was almost outrage in her. How could he think of her as one of his meaningless girls?

"It's different with you." He admits.

She lifts her brows. "How many girls have you told that?"

He hesitates.

"Come on, How many?" She pushes.

He rolls his eyes, exhales, and glances away from her glare.  "I lost count."

"Well, at least you're honest" She reaches for the door handle.

He grabs her arm stopping her. "See, things are different with you. I know I can be honest. With you, I know I can be true. Not because I have too, but because I want too. I want to be with you Ree. And in my defense, I've never made any girl, a girlfriend. But you... You're different."