Chapter 7

UNEDITED

There were few people in the stands and River became one of them.  "Stand right there." Landen puts to stand in the front row. 

"So, I came here to be your cheerleader?" She jokes.

"Shit." He mutters as he steps into his racing suit. "I can't believe this."

"What is it?" She covers her sensitive heart.

He looks at her seriously as he finishes zipping up his suit. "I forgot your pom-pom's at home."

Her jaw drops. "You think you're so cute Brenner. I thought something was really wrong."

"No seriously. I think we should go back to them." He continues to tease her. "You know any good cheers? Never mind, I think I want you to just scream out my name"

"Shut up." She places her hand on her hips. "Are you ever serious?"

"You don't want to see me serious." He sets his feet on a seat and fixes his shoelaces.

"Why not?"

"You'd have to piss me off. I'm not very nice after that." He lifts the corner of his mouth.

"Okay, well." She moves hair from the side of her cheeks and curls them behind her ear. "I have a serious question to ask. Can you be serious with me without being angry?"

"Depends on the question."

"I knew it. " She drops her but in a seat. "You can't."

"Ask and find out." He shrugs.

"Fine." She bites her lips. "It was you that locked me in the closet, right?"

Landen brows lifted, at first, he was surprised, but then couldn't control the laughter that came rolling out. He picks his helmet off a seat. "I'll be back. I have to check out this car before I take it around the track." He shakes his head in disbelief and walks off onto the track.

"You're not going to answer me!" She yells out. "I sleep alone! Have sympathy for me!"

He kept walking and laughing.

Minutes later, he was circling the track with his black and blue car. "Wow." She watches him take the track like a pro. She had no idea that he was so skilled. He made it look so easy but, as he added to his speed, her hands began to tremble. She was having anxiety for him. She takes shaky breaths in and out. Her mouth began watering from a sudden feeling of nausea. She turns away, closes her eyes, and swallows. When she opens her eyes again, she sees Ryan. Is she now hallucinating or, was that lone man in a dark suit sitting high in the stands, Ryan? She flutters her lashes, and brings forward a clearer picture, and yes; it is Ryan. Her mouth slightly opens as she realizes that he also was watching her. "Hi." She smiles and waves at him subtly.

He gave her a nod and lifted two fingers to acknowledge her.

Then, out the corner of her vision, she sees something dark green, and bright pink, moving in the stands. She narrows her eyes toward it, and is not so surprised to see Anastasia. She wore a long loose-fitting, floral dress that had a slit cut directly in the middle. It was amazing how elegant she could make a racing arena look.

She wasn't graceful though. She was walking almost on her tippy toes, like the whole place filled with spiders she had to dodge. But as slow as she was, she did finally make it to her fiancé. Immediately he stands when she reaches him.

"Hey." Landen interrupts her nosy moment.

"Hey. She stands up. "You're pretty good." She compliments him.