Chapter 13

UNEDITED

By the time the car finally stopped, Ryan was already near it and pulling his brother out from the window. Ana, without hesitation, called for help, and River, just stood there paralyzed. Yet another moment to traumatize her forever. Not that she realized that she was once again being traumatized. The fear that was making her motionless, was the fear of losing yet another person, and to a tragedy at that. The next few minutes became a blur. She lost her senses, and when she came to, she was laying on the ground and Ryan was looming above her.

"River?" He taps her cheek.

Her eyelids flicker and struggle to stay open, and although she wanted to let the led weighing them down, slam them shut, she wanted the safeness Ryan offered. He was always safe. She fought to get to that place by listening to his comforting voice and embracing the heat from his close proximity.

"Open your eyes." He commands.

An like he had control over her, her lashes fluttered open, and their eyes magnetized at one another. He is worried, she could tell.

He exhales with his eyes momentarily closing. "Are you alright?"

She was transfixed. All his movements she could see, but all his words she couldn't hear.

"River? He squints. 

"How about you help her up," Anastasia suggests. She was standing right behind them, watching the whole thing. It was getting a tiny bit uncomfortable for her. She wasn't normally a jealous person, and definitely not when a sibling was concerned, but River isn't a real sibling. Were her eyes deceiving her, or was she seeing something more when they looked at each other? Another thing that was worrisome, is how much concern her fiancé shows for her. When his so-called sister comes around, it's like he goes on high alert. She hated that she was even thinking this way. It should make her happy that she is going to have such a caring man as her husband.

Ryan cups his hand behind River's neck and gently pulls her forward before lifting her up. He places her on one of the arena seats and kneels in front of her. His tunnel vision then began to closely inspect her.

She grips onto her thighs as tingles take over her insides. She couldn't even look at him. She bows her head at the sudden overwhelming feeling from his attention. Otherwise, she was going to melt.

Like he was on autopilot he lifts her chin to meet his eyes again.

Ana, keeping her arms folded, bends down to also inspect her. "Her pupils are not dilated. I think she'll be fine." She was almost emotionless.

That brought back reality. River grips her head. "Is Landen okay?" She looks at Anna for the answer to avoid eye contact, but Ryan answers.  "He's okay. Getting checked out."

She doesn't let her eyes fall on him. She looks out into the distance and sees a tow truck towing Landen's car off the track.

"Anastasia, can you bring a bottle of water please?" He asks his fiancé.

Hesitantly, Ana nods before leaving them alone.

"What happened? He turns to River and whispers with concern.

Even though her cloudy mind she wanted to reach out and touch him. She almost didn't register his question. This was so wrong the way she was thinking about him.