Chapter 33

UNEDITED

After Angela's outburst, the brothers were both left glaring at each other, neither with words. You think Ryan would be happy that Landen has to retract every insult he said. He was actually far from it. He wanted his brother to live carefree and happy. He wanted him to never feel the torment that he feels inside. Hating the very flesh and blood beneath his skin. If he felt he was different than Ryan forever, that would have been perfectly fine.

This knowledge being revealed was absolutely devastating. But he had no idea what to say to his little brother. He opened his mouth but Landen spoke first.

"So I guess River wasn't the only one being lied to for years."

Ryan opened his mouth again but again Landen spoke first.
"You guys were trying to protect me?" He lets out a huff.

"I thought you would be happier not knowing. Isaac doesn't deserve for you to know."

"Who do you guys think you are deciding whether or not I get to know who my biological father is?"

He didn't have an answer and Landen didn't give him any more time to come up with one. He storms out of the house angrier than before.

Ryan was left feeling guilty. In trying to protect the people he loved, he ended up hurting them.
He thought of River and how hurt she must feel. He wanted to go to her, talk to her, explain everything, and take away her pain, but he knew, nothing he could say would. She needs time.

So he waited before showing up at her door one evening. When Lucille answered he could see in the house behind boxes and mess from packing. Her reaction to seeing him was glum. She didn't even ask what he was doing there, she just stood still.

"Can I speak to River please?" He asks.

"River Is gone."

His brows furrow. "Where?"

"All I know is that she is okay. I'm sorry. She shuts the door abruptly.

Quietly, almost angrily, he leaves and goes back to his car. He has never not known where River was. He has always kept tabs on her. Even going so far as to use a fake email address and pretending to be Zack just to know what was going on in her life. Now he not only felt lost but was worried. He has to find her.

Over the next couple of days, he used all his connections and a reckless amount of money in search. Within the week, he found her. She moved nearly an hour away and into a studio apartment.
He didn't dare approach her at first. She needed time to know life without him. He knew her well enough to know that, that is what she was running for. So he watches her for a few months. Four to be exact. Knowing she was safe, was good enough.
She found a job, made a friend, and bought a  clunker for a car.

It satisfied him to see her pushing herself to be outgoing. But he couldn't wait any longer. He has something to show her. Something he has been working on for a while now.

As he pulled his truck up in front of her building he notices the little white vehicle she purchased was pulling out of its parking spot.
It was her day off, so he wondered where she was going and followed her.

As she merged onto the highway, it started to rain heavily and barrels not buckets. Visibility on the road was poor so he had to keep a sharp eye on her. He watches her slow down and turns on her signal. She maneuvers the car into the middle lane and goes in front of a semi. With the truck being so big, he loses sight of her.

While his focus was on searching, unexpectedly and suddenly someone slammed into the back of his truck. The hit sent his vehicle into another and his head into the steering wheel.