Chapter 17

UNEDITED

River heads back to the dining room to let her mother know she was leaving, but before she could make it, she's grabbed by her forearm and hauled into the kitchen. Ryan pulled her in front of the sink and positioned her very close to himself. He also maintained his firm grip on her arm as he glared down at her seriously.

"What are you doing?" She breaths.

"Is there something going on between you two?" He edges his teeth together.

"Who?" She looks down at his hand still holding hers and then meets his eyes again. It was a signal, like hey, you're still gripping my arm... can I have it back?

He didn't seem to get it. He pulls her half an inch closer. "Between you and Landen."

How is she supposed to answer this?  "Would that be wrong?"

He looks away from her for a moment, seeming to assess his anger. "Do you want to be one of them?" He interrogates.

She began twisting her arm until he slackened his grip and released her. "I don't." She replies simply. She knew exactly what he meant. If she wanted to be one of Landen's random women.

"Did I hurt you?" He notices her gently rubbing the spot he just held. Instinct made him reach out and take it again for inspection.

She shakes her head. She was rubbing because of the tingling sensation residing from his touch. And it was coming back. She pulls her hand away and creates distance between them quickly.

"Do you know what you are getting yourself into?" He fills his pockets.

Part of her wanted to enjoy this, but the other part of her knew it was brotherly. He was naturally a caring, considerate, conscious, careful person. "Nothing is happening between Landen and me." She lets her glare fall to the ground as she ends any more unintentional enjoyment from his concern. "You don't have to worry about me. If there is one thing I force myself to do, it's to be careful when it comes to the men I bring into my life. No repeat of ancestral mistakes." When she met his eyes again they sucked her in. That magnetic pull was forcefully tugging at her. It was the way he was looking at her.
He was either at a loss for words, or paralyzed because he just stared, and it was making her weak in the pit of her gut. It felt like things were getting jumbled up and mixed together uncontrollably. Holy hell. Her knees were about to buckle.
Then, his mouth opened. "Men?" His voice could melt her on the coldest of day. It was the softest, smoothest tone. What did he say?

"Hey." Ana walks in and nonchalantly and spots her fiancé. "There you are."

That snapped River out of it. The sight of Anastasia should be enough to get her not to feel anything. Unfortunately, nothing is ever easy for her.

Ryan's fiancé approaches him and places her palm on the upper chest near his right shoulder. "Are you ready?"

The moment he was touched is when he looked away from River. His next move was a nod of his head and then a footstep toward the exit, but he was held back.

"Going somewhere?" Landen walks in unexpectedly. He goes nearer River, leans against the counter, and makes sure to press his biceps against her, and his brother notices that move.