Chapter 23

River limped her way near a huge tree and dropped her self in front of it. She was tired, hungry, thirsty, weak, and her feet aching. She couldn't find her way, didn't know how much longer she could keep going, and every which way she turned she seem to find more confusion. Most of all, she was afraid for nightfall. Stupid she knew, but she was already in a predicament, when it gets dark she was going to have a panic attack. Leaning her head back on the tree, she closes her eyes and begins a prayer. "God. I don't know how I ended up here, why, or if ill ever gets back... but my mom is waiting for me. Please, if there's a reason to help me right now, it is her. She needs me. Please... don't make her have to bury another daughter. Please... don't hurt her anymore." Tears stream down her cheeks. She sniffles wipe them; and opens her eyes. Then, like a flash of magic, Ryan appeared in front of her.
He stood firm and tall with a serious gaze that felt like it was beating down on her.

Was this a mirage? She wondered. Did she manifest what she wanted? For her guardian angel to swoop in and save her once again. Was that her book bag in his hand?

His eyes narrow to her bleeding leg and without saying a word he bends his knees lowering himself, and touches her.

She gasps. He's real.

He freezes from a moment hearing her sharp intake of breath but grabs her ankle anyway. He glides his fingers near her open cuts as he inspects the area.

The feeling turned her insides into foam. Her eyes nearly rolled to the back of her head.

Then she grabs her bag and opens it. To both of their surprise, the first thing he pulls out is a bottle of whiskey. "What the hell?" He eyes her suspiciously.

"Landen" She replies. "He must have put it in there earlier."

He shakes his head dismissing it, and continues looking in the bag.

River was in awe. She sat there and just stared at his features, at his every blink and glance. Again, he is there to save her. How is she ever supposed to get over him when every time she needs him, he's there.

"Here." He hands her a bottle of water and a granola bar. He then reaches for her leg again.

"I'll do it." She stops him.

Instead of reacting to her protest, he grabs her wrist, and tighten his jaw at the at a scrap running across her forearm. "What happen to you?" His fingers began working on taking off her sneaker.

"To make a long story short, I got scared of a large bear and ran until I fell." She admits nonchalantly.

"Why didn't you call for help?"

"Ouch!" She screams.

"That's one." He yanks out a stubborn thorn from her leg. "Answer me." He orders.

"I Pa- aaah!" She screams again.

"That's two." He pulls another thorn. "You panicked." He finishes her sentence.

"Yeah" She groans out. "I'm sorry."

"One more." He warns her this time before reaching for the last thorn.

She squeezes her eyes shut and takes it like a man. "Thank you." She breaths.

"Can you walk?" He opens a bottle of peroxide to clean her wound.

"Yeah." She nods and grips onto his shoulders as a way to handle the burning. "But not that fast."
When he pulls out the wrapping she pulls her legs away and takes it from him. "I can do the rest."

"Eat your bar." He orders and pulls her legs back. He cleaned all her open wounds and dressed them with high concentration. When he slips her socks and sneakers on she tries again to stop him but he ignored her. Then when she finishes her bar he, without hesitation grips her upper arms and pulls her up to lean against the tree.