Chapter 18

UNEDITED

When they arrived at the venue, Ryan was immediately pulled away by a group of men probably three times his age, and River and Anastasia took a seat at one of the tables. It wasn't regular tables, they were rectangular, long, and lined in the corners of the room so the entire middle was free and clear for mingling guests. Light and vibrant instrumental music played in the background, and waiters walked around with glasses filled with pink champagne. River has never been to such an elegant party before, hell she's hardly been to any party. She had to stop herself from gawking at the shiny simplicity that was set in every inch of the venue.

"Do you see what I mean about having no one to talk to?" Ana glances around looking at all the people at the party.

All were older than sixty and mostly men. River and Ana were sticking out like sunflowers in a patch of grass. "There's a girl." River points over near the bar where a very attractive brunette hung onto an older gentleman. 

"Those aren't the type of females I want to hang around." Ana crosses her legs. "Especially with daddy almost marrying one of them. Thank god he seen her true colors before it was too late." She grabs a glass that had been set in front of her and takes a large gulp.

"You seem nervous." River just notices.

"Its a big day. My dad is trying to impress most of the men here."

"Why? Are they like big-time investors?"

"Technically No, They're big-time chairman of huge multi-billion dollar corporations. We're hoping to get them to sponsor some of our drivers." She takes another sip.

"Oh." River glances around at the faces in a whole new light. She curled her hair behind her ears as she remembered a can of soda she had earlier. She was now wondering if the owner of that company was in there somewhere.

"See that guy over there wearing holding the pocket watch?" Anastasia subtly points.

"Yeah."

"He owns three television channels, one of them highly watched by men. It would be amazing if he would air our races." Ryan's fiancé stares at the man as if she were dreaming. "Let's go talk to him." She seems to have an epiphany as she grabs River's hand and squeezes a little too tight.

'What?" She pulls her hand away.

"Yeah." Ana downs her drink, makes a sour face and wipes her mouth. "Why not? It's never going to happen unless we make an attempt at it. Are you coming with?" She stands.

River cowardly shakes her head. "I wouldn't be any help."

"Okay." Anastasia blows out a breath. "I'm on my own then." She struts confidently toward Mr. Pocket-watch.

River's eyes followed her all the way to her destination and then watched her introduce herself, but had to look away because she was starting to have anxiety for her.

She looked around the room for the youngest guy around and found him. Her breathing picked up a notch because she found him watching her.

Ryan makes a subtle movement with his head asking the silent question, 'Need Something?'.

She shakes her head and looks away hurriedly but, then she realized, he was looking her way first. She looked back, and he was still looking at her. She didn't know what to do so she picked up a fork that was set in front of her, and held it up. She shows it to him and sets it back on the table. It was her funny way of letting him know that she is staying safe.
His lips didn't curve into a smile but, his eyes, she could tell they were smiling.
"Where is Anastasia?" He mouths back.