Chapter 12

UNEDITED

The following Saturday.

It was a bright and muggy day on the track. The heat from the laser-like sun was beating down on the rooftop of Landen's race car. He and River were waiting in a lengthy line to get onto the track. There are a ton more people there than last week. Even the stands were filled with a lot more people waiting and watching; and River was dying to be one them. Somehow, Landen managed to get her in the driver's side seat, and slightly agreeing to drive it once around the track. The closer and closer the car inched near the start line, the faster her heart pumped. "This is a bad idea." She voices "I can't drive stick-shift."

"You're going to be fine." He leaned his seat back, rested his head, and acted as if he didn't have a care.

She covers her accelerating heart. "No Brenner, think about it. I'm an inexperienced driver, about to go on a race track, full of racers, who are racing."

"Some of the scariest things on this planet are the most fun. Loosen up. And move the car." He points to space between their car, and the one in front.

She eases her foot off the break and lets the car roll some feet as another car in front of them enters onto the track. There were just four cars ahead of them now, then it would be their turn. Her stomach churched disgustingly with anxiety. "What if I panic, or worse, blackout? That's happened to before you know. Once, my lab partner in my freshman year in college had an allergic reaction to this chemical we were using. His face blew up like an old pufferfish and then he started to suffocate for air. And you know what I did to help him?

"What?'

"Nothing, because I fainted from all the panic. I could potentially faint while I'm driving. Right here, now, today." She tries to make him see the seriousness in the situation.

"I'm here." He shrugs nonchalantly

Another car rolls on the track and now, it was three. Not too long after that, there were two.

Her palms were sweating like never before, and her rapid breathing was becoming too hard to control. She's not a racer, she has her license but that's as far as it goes with her driving abilities. She should just run. Unbuckle your seatbelt, open the door, and sprint for your life.  The traffic light up ahead turns from red to green; letting another car past. "I can't do this." She swallows and glances at his calm demeanor. 

"You should have more confidence in yourself." He stares out of the window distractingly.

Another car rolls off, and now it was just one car ahead. She puckers her lips and blows out long even breaths.

"I'm going to help you." He decides to comfort her.

Him saying that though, didn't help at all.

The last car rolls out, and now they were next. "Oh god." She freaks out on the inside and stayed frozen on the outside.

"Take your foot off the break." He orders.

"Right." She lets the car roll to the front of the traffic light and comes to a stop. Here she was, about to do the stupidest thing she'll probably ever do. "How do you use this thing again?" She looks at the gear.

"Don't worry about it, the more you think, the more confusing it will become." The corner of his mouth lifts almost wickedly. "Experience is learning."

She squeezes her eyes shut. Please universe, help me. She pleads mentality before opening her eyes and staring at the red light. It was going to turn green at any second. She was dreading the second but, like her prayers were being answered, the light was taking longer than normal to change. 

"You ready?" Landen covers her frozen hand left on the shifter.

She doesn't reply, just swallows, and keeps her frightens eyes on the road. Then, through the eye-squinting sun, she thought she was seeing a mirage, but no, it was actually him. Ryan. He stalks in front of the car and towards her door. She didn't want to notice that he got his hair trimmed, or that he was wearing jeans, dark blue, and a crisp black dress shirt.

He opens the door, leans in, and unbuckles her seatbelt. "Out." He then commands.

Without hesitation, she gets out and dusts herself off as she had just been at war. Then, unexpectedly, tingles shot through her arm. Ryan grabs her pulls her to the sidewalk. "What are you thinking?" He drops his hand and runs the other through his hair. "Go and wait with her. I need to speak to my brother." He points at Anastasia standing with her arms folded low in the stands. He scolds.

She blinks back. Where did he come from? "I'm sorry." She lets her eyes find, and stick to where he was still touching her, on her upper right arm. Why did she have to be so aware of it? Think sister like River.

"Okay." Unsurely, River walks to his insisted location. "Hi." She greets Ana with a friendly smile as she walks up the stairs and stands beside her.

Ryan's fiancé seemed like she was maybe in a bad mood, but smiled subtly before replying "Hi" back.

"Is Ryan angry?"

"Well, obviously yes. You are not a registered driver here. You driving, puts my father's name, and this entire league in jeopardy. What would have happened if someone was to get hurt.? My father is liable for all of that. It would tarnish our name. That's why we have cameras in more places than you can count."

"I'm sorry." River lids drop as she apologizes. She knew it was stupid, she just didn't realize how stupid.

Ana nods before looking away uncomfortably. "By chance, Ryan noticed the two of you. Did you know you were turning pale?"

"Not really."

~~~~

Landen pulled his car to the side and leaned up against the door. He watched as his brother stalked toward him seemingly very irritated. Mission accomplished.

"What the hell is the matter with you?" Ryan's voice echoes throughout the arena.

"A few different things." He smirks. It was nice being on the side of not affected.

"That is by far the stupidest thing you've ever done. You could've gotten her hurt, or worse, killed. When are you going to grow up Landen?"

"When are you going to lighten up?" He folds his arms.  "I'm so tired of telling you that. Another thing, I already have a father, I don't need a second one."

"I don't care to be your father. I care when your ridiculous actions put others at risk. Especially River."

"She's an adult you know."

"If that is how you are going to treat her, then stay away from her. If I hadn't noticed the two of you-" Ryan grinds his teeth and shoves his hands in his pockets.

"Noticed? Don't you mean watching? If you weren't watching her. What is it about her that fires you up so much big brother?"

"Get your head out of your pants," Ryan responds.

"Admit it. You want her."

"Only you would think caring for her could mean one thing. Just stay away from her."

"You know, if this was a few weeks ago, I might have believed you, but now, I'm not so idiotic. I've seen the way you look at her. You know what else, ever since she came back, there's a new vein in your neck. What is it that angers you? That you want her and can't have her, or that I have her?"

"You have nothing." Ryan almost growls.

Landen laughs arrogantly. "You're doing a bad job of convincing me here."

Ryan shakes his head. Steam was shooting out of his ears at this point. "Has your middle-child syndrome been acting up today?" He storms off without another word. That was a nasty burn, and highly unlike him.

That statement hit Landen intoxicatingly hard. His nostrils flared, and his jaw sets in place. He was hardly ever left without words. He jumps in his car and speeds off onto the track. Dangerously, he weaved around other drivers at top speed. Then, like a nightmare, his car hits the wall and spins out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you're enjoying. 😊