Chapter 30

UNEDITED

Her mother was about to go to bed when River cornered her and demanded answers. She had just settled in under the blanket when she was startled by her bedroom door blasting open. Ultimately she admitted the full truth.
Ryan knew from the very beginning and he did break it off, just like Landen said.

It felt like billions of splinters piercing her heart. Billions of shards of glass slicing and dicing her at her emotions. The lies. The secrecy. The betrayal. This literally broke her. It was one thing to think he had no idea. This meant that he rejected her, and for another woman. This meant that anyone whom she cared about and who was supposed to care for her, lied. They cared about their own pain, not hers. "So, you all lied to me?" A tear leaked down her cheek. It was the only thing showing her hurt. Everything else showed her anger. Her tight fist, her edging teeth, and her furrowed brows.

"I'm sorry, I was only trying to do what's best for you."Her mother uncovers herself and gets off the bed. She moves to her daughter's side wanting and needing to comfort her. "I know the strong feelings you had for him. I couldn't tell you."

"You're that selfish?" River pulls away.

Lucille had no reply.

The ringing of a phone began in River's room. The sound annoyed the hell out of her. She storms to it picks it up and shouts. "Leave me alone Ryan. I don't ever want to see your face again."

"That's too bad." He replies. "Look, I'm on my way back. We need to talk. I would like to explain."

She hangs up on him. Her next thought was Angela. She needed to talk to Angela. She absents herself from her home and into the Brenner house. "Aunt Angela." She shouts as she walks the halls like she owns the place.

"Everything okay?" Angela comes out of a room worriedly.

"Why?" She begins questioning. "Why would you lie to me? Why not tell me Ryan didn't want me? I could have handled it. Do you consider your family? Do I matter to you?"

Angela was still, stuck with her mouth open. This felt like it was coming from nowhere. Not one time did she ever think that River would find out, or that she would be this angry; or that she would be confronted.

"Is it because I was away; that you saw me as a just a thought? I don't deserve the truth? Did it matter more to cover up for your son?" No one understood. This man was the last six years of her life. He was her future plans. The father of her future kids. He was hers in her head. Whenever she was having a bad day she thought about him. It cheered her up every single time. It was as real as the blood in her veins to her. Then to come home and find out that she was dreaming a fool's dream the whole time.

"Okay stop River. We care about you, maybe too much. We wanted to save your feelings. We didn't want you to be hurt."

"That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Because now, I just feel stupid and hurt." She turns and storms off. It was six feet until she bumped into a tall, firm, black suit, that gripped her upper arms.

"River." Ryan's soft but firm voice echoes within her.

Automatically she pushes him but he didn't let go, matter of fact he barely budged. "Let go." She tries to peel his grip from around her.

"We need to talk." He releases, but the moment she tries to walk off he grabs her wrist and pulls her back.

"I don't want to talk to you." She tugs.

"Ryan." His mother intervenes. But he didn't let up.

"I need to talk to her." He declares.

"Let her be, she has a right to be angry."