Chapter 34

UNEDITED 😁😀😴😊😩😭😌😉😩🤔🤫😫😂😍😑🤤😑🤩😎🤓🧐🤨🤬🤯😳😱🤐🤢

Seconds after Landen left, River picks up her phone but puts it back down. She wanted to call Ryan, only she was having second thoughts. She has to think about this before doing or saying anything rash. She would eternally be grateful to him for risking his life for her but her emotions were too raw.

She has spent the last months trying to figure out how to live without him. How to be independent, strong, and brave. For too long all she seen for herself was a future as Ryan's wife.
She was just beginning to see something different and now all of this.

One of the things she understands now is that she was letting her emotions rule her entire life. Whether it be fear or love. If she flys into Ryan's arms she would be doing the same exact thing. Her emotions are what made her wait six years for a man. Her emotions that twisted her logic. Her emotions are what made her weak, afraid, and her emotions are what made her want to forget thinking and go with her heart. Even after everything she heard between him and Landen.
If she lets any man mistreat her in any way she was letting herself become a victim of The Redford Curse.
Being alone is what she needed to finally break it. She can't suddenly in her emotional state speak to him.

The following day, she was discharged. Landen informed her that Ryan was home. It wasn't a plan but she ended up at his apartment.

"He's waiting for you in the living room." The housekeeper lets her know as she steps in.

She walks on dark hardwood floors through the long hallway on her way, and when she arrived, she gets stuck. She could break down upon seeing him. He was resting on the sofa Shirtless, bandage up, and watching the local news. Cuts, bruises, and scraps were everywhere. His fingers, neck, chest, and face.

Poor baby. She wanted to voice, instead, she covers her mouth to cover the sound of crying. Her tears, however, she couldn't hide. It shredded her to pieces seeing him looking so fragile and defenseless.

When he caught eyes with her, he too froze.
Neither spoke, just stared in relief at the sight of one another.

Then in a calming soft way, he breaths out her name. "River." He scans her up and down slowly taking every detail in. Her baggy sweats, her oversized t-shirt, her messy bun, and her house slippers. He notices the bandages from the needles that were stuck in her wrists, the bruise around her left eye, and the fact that she still hadn't moved her feet.

Wanting to hold and comfort her he swings his feet off the sofa and onto the ground

"Don't get up." She pleads.

"Fine." He extends his arm, calling her to his side.
From the moment of consciousness, she is all he was concerned about. He was happy when he heard her injuries were minor but, would never be satisfied until he sees her until he feels her. If she hadn't come to him, he was going to her.

She wipes her eyes, swallows, and puts one foot in front of the other until she gets close enough to place her palm in his. Surprising her with his strength, he tugs her close, presses his face in her stomach, and encircles her waist.

"Why?" She automatically burst into louder crying as she holds his face. "Why were you following me? Are you stupid? Crazy? A psychopath?"

"Yes." He agrees. "Everything. All of it for you."

She cried louder if it was possible.

After the overwhelmingness of seeing each other in their conditions had passed, she joins him on the sofa placing her head on his chest gently and resting with him.