Chapter 2

UNEDITED

River's long hair hugs the sides of both of their faces as they collapse to the ground. It was like time froze for a moment.

Ryan gripped on to one of her forearms, and waist as they went down, and he still had a very tight hold on them. "Are you okay?" He scans her worriedly.

River was struggling to hold herself above him. She was only using one hand, and one elbow. Her legs were between his, trembling, her breaths heavy.  "A huh." She nods slightly. Her eyes were magnetized to his by a forceful pull.

He searches her face for almost a full five seconds, before registering that he hadn't let her go. He clears his throat, releases his grip, and helps her back to her feet.

"Thank you." She whispers and gently rubs the part of her arm he was holding.

"You can thank me by never wearing heels." He begins searching by the door for the emergency button.

River looks down at her feet. "I'm short."

"You're fine. Why does that even matter?" He presses the emergency button. It lights up to a bright red, but no sound of a bell or anything like that went off.

"I don't know." She curls hair behind her ear.

"So, you're going to continue to add more height to your falls for an unknown reason."

"Hey, that's not funny. I don't mean to be clumsy."

"I wasn't trying to be funny." He glances at her seriously and looks up at the ceiling in search of a camera.

At that exact moment, the lights turn off.

River screams and runs into him again. She grabs onto his bicep and presses her face in his shoulder. "Oh god."

She began feeling his arms move and then sees light from his phone screen. He turns the flashlight on and points it to the ceiling.

She should have thought of that, but all she could think of was not being able to see.

"There's a camera." He points. "Someone should be working on getting us out already." He steps out of her hold and leans against the doors.

"Just don't turn that light off. "River drops her nervous hands at her sides. She needed to get a hold of herself, but this wasn't some girly-girl afraid of a spider. She has real, true, legit, fears.

Needing to feel safe, she picks the corner on the left and sits there with her back up against the wall.

After a moment, he too drops to ground across from her, and puts his phone in the middle of the elevator.

Minutes drag, and drag, with the two of them not making a sound. Then, like rain in a drought, the lights come back on.

"Finally." River releases a breath of relief.

A loud beeping sound blast through the monitor. "Everyone okay?" A man's voice appears.

Ryan stands, dust off the back off his pants, and picks up his phone. "Were fine. How long until we get out of here?" He looks at the speaker by the buttons.