Chapter 5

UNEDITED

What do you want Brenner?" River folds her arms and glares at Landen suspiciously.

He covers his chest with his right hand. "Aww, you break my heart. After all this time, you still don't trust me?"

"I still have nightmares about you locking me in the closet. I really believed it was a spirit that had done it."

"I'm sorry." He tries not to smile. He got a kick out of how gullible she was sometimes. "I went overboard that day. I just wanna talk."

"Excuse me." A woman says to River who was still standing in front of the bathroom door.

"Sorry." She steps aside.

"Let's go sit at a table." He suggests.

"I really need to go." She walks past him unexpectedly. Now that she has gotten through most of this day, she could see the finish line, and the solemnness of her room but, just before she gets to the exit, she's stopped.

"Wait." Landen grabs her forearm and tugs her to beside the door.

"What is it?"

He glances back at his brother before answering. Ryan was standing in the same spot; the only difference is that Anastasia is back. He was intending on getting his attention somehow but, he already had it. He was watching Ryan glare furiously but, still couldn't believe he was doing it.

River began twisting her arm to break away from his hold. "Landen." She warns.

He turns back, and let's go. "Sorry."

She rubs her arm "It's okay... So what is it?"

"Right." He shakes his head. "Ahh... Ryan, Zack, and I have all written speeches we are going to read soon. I was thinking about it, and I think you should say something too."

"What? Are you crazy? Me?" She'd most likely fall on her behind.

"Why not?"

"For starters, I haven't really been around for the last six years."

"So what?" He reaches out and settles his hand on her shoulders. "You know my mom and dad would love to hear it. Just take a breather for a minute, get yourself calm, and thinking clearly. You can do this." He drops his hands.

She bites her lips and looks around suspiciously. "This is a setup, isn't it?"

"No." He amusingly shakes his head. "We're not teenagers anymore."

"Why are you smiling then?"

"Its just funny that you think I would set you up after all this time."

She bites her lips again and glances around as she contemplates. "I don't think so... I really need to go." She tries again to get away but again, he blocks her path. "I don't want to give a speech." She declares.

He looks back at Ryan one more time quickly. He is still glaring their way, and his teeth grinding. Normally, he is always calm and keeps to himself. Meaning, he minds his business.

"Okay." He steps suddenly steps aside.

"Thank you." For a second, River looks at him strangely, but then didn't hesitate to get past and to leave the party.

Landen grabs another drink before walking near an empty edge of the building. He looks over the city view and waited. Although he was watching his brother's eyes follow River around, he still couldn't accept it. That is just how hard it Is to believe. His brother isn't bothered by much and its extremely hard to get a rise out of him but, out of the corner of his eyes, he notices Ryan stalking towards him.

"You think everything is a game."

"You should play more often. It's exhilarating." Landen smirks while finishing his drink.

Maintaining his cool temper, Ryan edges closer; making sure his brother hears him clearly. "River is not going to be involved in any of your little games. She is a family. You should be ashamed of yourself. She is like a sister. We are supposed to look out for her. How do you think aunt Lucille would feel about you trying to sleep with her...? Or mom?"

"Well isn't someone's being presumptuous." Landen lifts a brow.

"Can you blame me?"

"Ryan." Anastasia appears behinds them, and with her arms crossed. That is her usual stance. A defense mechanism maybe.

"Leave River alone." He orders his younger brother before going back to Anastasia. He wraps his arms around her waist and escorts her back over to where his mother and stepfather were still taking pictures with guests.

"What's going on with you? Ever since you came out of the elevator you seem irritated." She sets her palms on his solid chest.

He shakes his head. "It's nothing."

"Is it about that girl?"

"What girl?" He tightens his jaw.

"Fork girl." She gives him a don't pretend you don't know expression.

"River." He corrects. "And no."

"I overheard you tell Landen something about her. Is there something you're not telling me?"

He puts his hand on her shoulder and watches her seriously. "No." He affirms. "River is like a sister."

Anastasia nods her head subtly. "You seem protective over her, But... I guess I don't understand a sibling relationship." She is an only child of a wealthy businessman, her mother passed when she was a toddler. "What is Landen doing to her?"

"Landen is being Landen." He replies shortly.

On the other end of the party, Landen drifts over to the bar and grabs two beers. He joins Zack at the table and sneaks a bottle in his hand.

"What was that about?" Zack asks. He was referring to his brother's little argument.

"Same shit different day. Ryan is being Ryan." He puts the bottle to his lips.

"Hey, do me a favor." Zack leans over the table. "Don't sleep with River okay."

"You too huh." Landen shakes his head. He was feeling a little bit like an idiot. Ryan is protective of River because he felt like she was a sister. Look at him right now being the perfect son, staying beside mommy all day. He rolls his eyes. He knew his goodie-goodie brother couldn't possibly be any type of bad. He should have known better than to even think it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you're enjoying 😌

Thanks for all the support everyone