Chapter 26

UNEDITED

TWO WEEKS LATER

Ryan arrived home from the airport to find any trace of Anastasia gone. He felt guilt for what he had put her through, but couldn't help to also feel free. Freedom is not what want he wanted, freedom is the path toward what he wanted. River. She has been a constant on his mind. She is his greatest weakness and his greatest desire.

After dropping off his bags he jumps in his vehicle and heads over to her house. He needed to see her and speak face to face. There was much to be said. When he gets there and knocks on the door, Lucille appears.

"Ryan." She states surprisingly. "What are you doing here?"

"Good afternoon Aunt Lucille. I'm here to see River."

"She's out with Landen."

He clamps down on his jaw. "Do you know where?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Thank you." He about-faces and pulls out his phone.

"I forgive you now." Lucille suddenly announces.

He turns back. "I'm sorry?" Did he hear correctly?"

"For, breaking your engagement with River. I see now that everything happens for a reason."

"What do you mean?" He puts his phone back in his inner jacket pocket.

"I don't know If you know, Landen proposed to River and she said yes last week." She joins her hands together in excitement.

His heart stopped. He could hear Ana's words ringing In his head. 'I hope you never get her.' Rage began rising. This is a game for Landen. River is not his, and never will be.

"She seems happy." Lucille goes on. "And now that I've seen she is going to be okay. I forgive you for breaking my daughter's heart."

He drops his chin. "That was never my intention." He had his reasons for ending things.

"I know." She smiles. "Did you visit your mother yet? I know she's been waiting for you."

"I'm headed there now." He has to let her know there is no longer has a wedding to prepare for.

                                                                                                                                                                                River, stared at her, and Landen's hands joined together and resting on her lap as he drove his car. They were headed back home from a car show and had a lot of fun. Every time they were together, that's what they did. The fun came so naturally between them. Intimacy on the other hand, not so easy.

Ever since Ryan crossed the line by kissing her she couldn't remove it from her brain. It was making things between her and Landen a tad awkward. She has been pretty distance and taking things slow, hoping it will get better. Now she is starting to wonder if she was ever going to be able to be intimate without being awkward with another man. Could she want another man? Is it possible? One thing she knew for sure, was that if it was going to happen, it would be with Landen. He was the only one that could distract her from her thoughts of his brother.

"You alright Ree?" Landen shakes their hands to get her attention.

She nods.

Last week he took her to a hall. It was immaculate, every inch of it. Sparkling lighting and glossy dark wood floor.  He told her that it was a property he was going to sell and needed some photos, but that turned out to be a lie.

He put her to sit at a table that had two pretty white and gold binders on it.  Both had information about the venue. Little did she know, while she was looking through, Landen had dropped to one knee and pulled out a red jewelry box that had an almond shape diamond ring inside. "River." He calls.

She looks back, and her eyes shoot open. She jumps off the chair and backs away. "This is a joke right?"

"Okay, don't look so crazy-eyed. Hear me out." He stays on his knee.

"Oh my god." She presses a hand on her head as if to stop from exploding. "Get up!"

"Not before you listen to me."

"You're crazy." She was pacing now. "Hurry up." She gives the go-ahead. "Everyone is looking." By everyone, she meant the staff.

"I know I seem insane right now but, this is the only way I can think of to show you how serious I am. Yes, I'm a flirt, and I've never been in a serious relationship, but that's because I've never had serious feelings for anyone. Two years, and two months, is the next available date for this place, and I want to book it with you, today, now. I don't see you as just another girl. I see the future." He swallows. "For the first time I feel, and it's for you. If you accept me, then understand that I wouldn't risk our friendship if I wasn't serious about you. This is how serious." "He raises the jewelry box. "If you take this ring, then it will be the start of our relationship, and if I prove to you, that I can be faithful, loving, and trustworthy, you marry me here in two years. You are not a game, and this is me showing you that I know what I want. What I want is you."

She was paralyzed. If she wasn't so hung up on Ryan would this be an option for her? She might have been feeling something for him but when Ryan kissed her, it sort of masked that. This is the mistake she keeps making. Her feelings for a taken man is preventing her from moving on. Here Landen, devilishly handsome Landen is kneeling before her promising to spend his life with her and she was thinking about Ryan. What girl wouldn't want Landen? He's attractive, funny, smart, and he is always lightening her mood. So why not say yes.

"I'm ready to send out invitations now." He adds.'

"Please, get up." She begs.

"Please, answer me." He refuses.

She exhales. She was insane but. "Okay..."

"Really?" His brows elevate

She lets out another breath and nods again. "Yes."

Satisfyingly, and with a now victory smile, He stands up and takes the steps necessary to be in front of her. He takes the ring out of the box.

"Is this really necessary?" She folds her arms.

"It is. This is my promise to you Ree. The way I feel about you, I've never felt before. I want the world to know your mine and every woman alive to know I'm taken. You're going to be pleading with me to move the wedding up." He lifts her hand and slips the engagement ring on her finger. After that, he literally booked the venue for their wedding. The craziest thing they've ever done.

~~
PRESENT

Landen maneuvers the car into the driveway and pulls the parking break up. To their surprise, Ryan's car was there as well.
River's stomach churched brutally. She hasn't seen him since the camping trip and he hasn't called her since then either. She wanted to be okay with that. He has a fiancé and she needed to stay as far as possible away from him. But the question still replayed in her head. Why didn't he call again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you're enjoying 😁