Chapter 19

UNEDITED

Ana and Ryan immediately left the party after the incident. They dropped an apologetic River off and we're sitting in the car arguing in front of the house.

"What the hell were you thinking?" She yells.

"Are you kidding me, Anastasia? What was I supposed to do? Allow him to treat River that way?" His fist tightens around the steering wheel as he remembers Milton's gaze lingering on River's body. He felt as if he could have knocked him out cold. Lucky for Milton, Ryan has restraint.

"I didn't say that. You didn't have to go about it the way you did."

"I." He clamps down on his jaw a touch, having to suppress anger." I could have done much worse. Trust me."

"Do you know who that was? She pushes on his shoulders to get him to look at her, however, he refused and kept his focus on the windshield. "And what opportunities he could have put in front of us?" She adds.

Irritated with her now, he simply responds. "I don't care."   

"Yes of course not, because it's not your father's happiness that I'm trying to achieve."

"If you are were going to put your father's happiness first then you shouldn't have brought River with us."

"Oh my god." She exclaims. "What is with you and her? Does she disintegrate when men look at her? Will she shatter like glass?" With still no response from him, she continues. "She's a big girl. She doesn't need you to protect her every minute of the day. She has managed to do fine without you."

He continues to suppress growing anger by grinding his teeth. He couldn't even look at his fiancé. He kept his eyes focused on the front window.

"You've ruined so many potentials for daddy today." She throws her hands in the air. "What's gotten into you lately? I've never seen you let emotions get involved in business matters, and you're always on edge too. Tell me, please. Is it something I'm doing? Is it something daddy Is doing?"

He starts the car up, puts it in drive, and pulls out. He drives all the way home without even a glance her way.

Meanwhile, River heads straight to her bedroom when arriving home. She opens her closet door and takes out a large grey T-shirt to change into. When she tries to close the door, it gets stuck. This damn door is always giving her trouble. It never closes properly. It was as if the door was bigger than the door frame by an inch or so. She pulls it wide and tries to close it again, but again, it gets jammed. She kicks it, pushes it, and finally turns around and uses her butt to slam it shut. "I win!" She smiles satisfyingly up at a closed door.

"Definitely won that battle." To her surprise, Landen was leaned up in between her doorway with his arms folded and a grin.

"Holy hell!" She covers her pumping heart and then tosses her shirt at him. "You scared me."

He catches the shirt. He was standing there the whole time watching her fight with the door and found himself memorized. He could no longer deny it, he is having real feelings for her. She was something incredible, different, unique, and perfect for him. He found himself thinking about her more often than not, and now he was struck by her beauty; and her unawareness of it all made her even more attractive.