Chapter 28

UNEDITED

"Hello," Ryan answers his phone. He was sitting in his office, in his oversized chair, leaned back, and relaxed as ever. His phone has been constantly going off, but he wasn't annoyed by it in the slightest.

"Finally." River breaths from the other end. "Why haven't you answered any of my calls?" She was frantic, pacing up and down her room like a madwoman.

"All your texts told me what I needed to know."  He slickly replies back.

"Please." She begins verbally begging. "Give me back the ring." Landen was coming over soon. She has dodged him for a couple of days now, but that was an impossible thing to do today. It was the monthly family dinner night and the only excuse that could get you out of that is illness.

"Hmm... " Ryan's throat rumbles. "I willing to give you anything you ask for River, just you wearing another man's ring, is not something I'm willing to compromise on."

"Why are you doing this?" Frustration was eating at her. What is she supposed to tell his  brother?"

"After what happened between us, you're really going to ask me that?"

All the wind dragged from her lungs. All the hairs on her body stood on end, and a shiver surges through her. This is what happened to her just thinking about it. Just thinking about him. The remembrance of the electricity was enough to get her weak.

"River." He pauses. "I don't feel sister feelings for you. I never have."

She has been wanting to hear him say that so badly that now that he has, she didn't know what to do or even think. What does this mean? What does it change? All questions she couldn't focus on. She was too worried about that damn ring. "The ring Ryan."

"You're not getting it back."

"Why?" She whispers. Tears almost wanted to burst from her eyes.

He greets his teeth. "Because you're not his."

"I..." 

"I have a client." He cuts her off. "We could continue this discussion during dinner if you want."

"Sure, while everyone is sitting closely around." She states sarcastically while taking a deep breath. "Look, Landen is going to be here soon. What am I supposed to tell him?"

"Whatever you want. The truth would be my preference."

"Please, just give it back. I'm begging here. "

His eyes close. He wanted to give it to her just because she was asking. He hated to hear her pleading but, it was more than giving in to his weakness. She was meant to be his, and he was not letting up. "I have to go." He hangs up.

She looks down at her phone. "What the hell!" She shouts and tosses it on her bed. How was she going to explain where the ring is? Why did she let Ryan take it? Damn it she behaves like a mindless zombie around him.

When the doorbell rang a while later, she answered it with her hand behind her back. "Hey."

"Hey, Sweetness." Landen had a bouquet of red roses in one hand and snaked the other around her back for a quick hug. "I've missed you." He kisses her cheek.

She takes the roses with her bravest smile and turns away hurriedly. "They're beautiful." She takes quick steps in the kitchen. Almost like she was running, because really she was. She opens the cabinet under the sink and pulls out a clear vase.

He followed and watched her nervousness as she filled the vase with water and stuck the stems inside. She was wearing tight black skinny jeans, a tank top, and her hair tied in a messy bun. He stayed still while he analyzed her every move. Then, slowly he moves behind her and places his hand on her hips.