Chapter 6

UNEDITED

The following Friday evening 11 PM

A knocking on River's bedroom window startled her out of her sleep. Automatically she grabs onto the blanket and backs up on the headboard. Her lips trembled and the pumping of her heart rattled her eardrums. She dared to peek over at her window and hope she wasn't going to see a ghost. "Calm down River, you're being paranoid." Maybe she didn't hear a thing.

*Knock Knock Knock* Then it comes back.

She squeals and nearly hits the ceiling.

"River." She could hear someone whisper.

Her eyes widened. Oh, God. Whatever it is, knew her name. She pulls the blanket over her head.

"River." The whisper comes back. "It's Landen. Are you awake?"

"Landen?" She says to herself. Removing the cover, she edges herself out of the bed and pulls back the curtain. The window is on ground level so he is standing right on level with her, and dressed in a grey suit. Some things she's never seen before.  She opens the window.  "Are you kidding me, Brenner?"

"I need a favor." He inserts quickly

She sighs. "Now?"

"I'll meet you at the front door."

She closes the window, and like the scaredy-cat she is, she turns on every light switch she passes through the house. Rooms she had no intention of entering "What is it?" She asks once she opens the front door.

"You're not going to invite me in?" He leans against the door frame.

"Come on Brenner." She whines. "I'm so tired. I worked a twelve-hour shift today."

"Okay okay." He takes his phone out of his pocket, presses a few buttons, then hands it to her. "Ask for Zara."

"Zara?"

He nods "A hot as hell Indian girl I met recently."

"Why don't you call her yourself?" She yawns

"Her parents are annoyingly strict."

"What are you doing here anyway?' She changes the topic.

"It's actually a strange thing. See, my parents live in that house right there." He points to the main house. "I had a meeting with my dad. Business, you know. Now call."

River rolls her eyes. She hits the send button, places the phone to her ear, and lets out a breath. Then she hears the first ring, then a second, and then a third. "Hello." An older man's voice appears.

"Hello." She replies.

"Yes?"

"Um... Can I speak to Zara?"

"Who is this?"

"My name is River sir."

"Where do you know Zara from River?"