#27 - Jenna

Author's Note: This chapter was inspired because I was listening to Independence Day by Martina McBride and it reminded me of when I was that woman...

"You have got to get away from her," Macy said as we walked around the circle of the campground. I sighed. I couldn't see my future without Jenna in it. She had held me when I cried, traced circles on my skin after we had a 'busy' night, and she had been my constant for nearly four months. I couldn't just leave her. It wasn't that simple.

It will never be that simple.

"I'm serious," My friend Macy said. "That girl is toxic, Emma." "So what?" I mumbled. Macy spun to face me, shocked. "Emma! She is destroying you! Can't you see that?! All you have to do to see that is look in the fucking mirror!" I flinched away at her tone.

She sighed and raked a hand through her hair. "Sorry. I didn't mean to snap. It's just, why? Why do you insist on staying with her? After what she's done to you!" "I can't just leave," I muttered. I looked at my watch and cursed at the time.

"I've got to get back, Mace. She'll be mad." Macy nodded, a slight look of pity and frustration forming in her eyes. "Okay." I started towards Jenna's camper, but before I could go, Macy wrapped me in a hug.

I waved goodbye to Macy and entered my girlfriend's camper, where I was immediately met with her hands on either side of my face. "Why the fuck were you hugging her?!" I felt my heart begin to pound, that familiar feeling of fear rising in my stomach. It had gotten to the point that whenever she hit me, all I could feel was the desperation for this to end.

"You're right, I shouldn't have. I'm sorry," I said, hoping to placate her. She cursed at me and grabbed my upper arms. I flinched, turning my face away and closing my eyes, waiting for the impending smack. With every second that it didn't come, the horrible feeling of fear and being unsafe and dare I say panic rose and rose in my stomach until it was practically erupting from my throat.

Jenna grabbed my shoulders and threw me against the door. The physical pain registered in my mind but the emotional pain registered in my heart. The desperation came again as I felt her grip on my skin tighten, becoming more and more painful.

I let my head loll back as I cried silently, knowing that I was completely and utterly at the mercy of Jenna.