#9 - Jenna

*NOTE* 

THIS TOOK PLACE BEFORE ALL OF THE OTHER CHAPTERS EXCEPT CHAPTER ONE. WE WERE NOT DATING YET.

"Do you ever wonder what it all means?" I asked. I was laying on my back at the shore of the lake, with Jenna beside me. She loosely dropped an arm over my shoulders. My breath hitched. I hated to admit it, but I liked Jenna. I really did. There was just something different about her, something dangerous that seemed to be pulling me in. As much as I tried to resist, I wanted to learn her - all of her secrets, fears, loves, everything. 

"What do you mean?" Jenna replied, turning her head to look at me. "Just, everything. The world. Fears. Secrets. Darkness. Light. Hope. Why is it all here? What is our purpose as humans?" "I don't know," she said. "I feel like everyone is here on a mission. Everyone needs something in their life, and I think all of the ups and downs and trials and turns and roads headed in the wrong directions are just the obstacles that they have to face before they can find what they're looking for."

I smiled. "I think you're right. Maybe all of the good people in our lives are here to guide us through that." Jenna nodded in agreement.

I looked up, towards the brightest star that I could find in the sky. There weren't very many stars out that night, but there were a few. The rest of the night sky was pitch black. Suddenly, I felt afraid. I'd never been afraid of the dark before, but underneath that sky, I felt small and insignificant. Worthless, even. 

As if sensing my thoughts, Jenna scooted closer and drew me to her ever-so-slightly. Her skin was warm and comforting on mine. I huddled closer, looking up towards her face, casting my eyes over her beautiful features. From her dark blue ocean eyes that were so rare for females and so perfectly gorgeous, to her high, arched cheekbones, every inch of her face was sculpted to be something of perfection. I felt the air being sucked from my lungs as she pressed even closer, until we were mere inches apart.

"I've been wanting to tell you something for a while now," Jenna whispered softly, her breath washing over my cheek. "What?" I asked, my voice raspy and barely audible. "I like you," she whispered in my ear, as if it were a secret that no one else was allowed to hear. My heart immediately clenched with a strange sort of exhilarating joy. It felt like a light was filling me from the inside. I couldn't help the smile that stretched across my face. "I like you, too," I whispered back.

"Well," Jenna said, looking at the rocks below us for a second before darting her eyes back up to mine, "Then you won't mind if I do this."

I looked at her in confusion. "What?" Before Jenna could answer, I felt a pair of soft lips pressing against my own.

My first kiss.

And it was the most wonderful thing that I had ever experienced.