#17 - Jenna

"Emmy!" I heard a familiar voice call for me from the kitchen. Groaning, I yelled back, "In the bedroom!" I heard pattering feet as Jenna rushed to me. I smiled weakly at her when she entered. She gave me a loving look, then rolled her eyes over my body with concern.

"Have you been in bed all day?" Jenna asked with disapproval. "Technically,  I got up to go to the bathroom," I mumbled. She shook her head in exasperation and brushed a hand across my forehead. "What's wrong, love?"

"Just a bad day for depression," I responded softly. It took too much effort to speak at a normal volume. Jenna leaned closer to me and interlaced her fingers with mine. I sighed in contentment as new warmth spread through my body.

"Wait," I said, suddenly thinking of something. With much more difficulty than was normal for a thirteen year-old girl, I sat up in the bed. "What are you doing here, anyway?" I knew that Jenna had to babysit today for our neighbors, and besides, it wasn't a sleepover night, so I was at my own camper, and she should have been at hers.

"Your brother called me and said that you were being and I quote, 'extraordinarily lazy' today, and hoped that I could 'kiss some effort into you', and I knew exactly what that meant, so I came right away." "But what about your job?" I asked. "They cancelled last minute," Jenna replied. "Oh," I said, for lack of anything better to say.

"Now," Jenna chirped brightly, "I did promise your half-assed brother that I would get you up and moving, and I don't break promises." Her words stabbed me in the heart a little bit.

Yes, you do.

You broke all of your promises to me.

"So, get your ass up!" I looked at my girlfriend, standing determinedly with her hands on her hips by my bed. I groaned as I tried to raise myself. My hands fell away as I felt a pair of arms around my waist and the sensation of being lifted.

Jenna hugged me close before setting me down on the floor. "Now," she said, taking my hand and kissing it, "We need to take care of you." I smiled slightly at her words. She led me to the cupboards and grabbed underwear, my favorite pink bra, a comfortable tank top, and big, baggy sweats. I sighed. She knew me all too well. I only wear sweats when I'm depressed, alone, or tired, and she knew it.

I sighed again, looking at the clothes she held out for me. Jenna looked at me sympathetically, and helped me dress myself. I smiled widely at her in return. She sat me on my bed, told me to stay put, and disappeared into the kitchen.

When Jenna came back, she was holding a bowl of chips and four chocolate chip cookies. "Here," she said, dropping the bowl and two of the cookies into my lap. "Eat."

I sighed and began to eat the food, while she ate the other two cookies beside me. When we had both finished, she took the dishes into the kitchen, then came back to me.

Jenna wrapped her arms around me, and we both laid down in my bed.

Fuck Wyatt.

This is a thousand times better than getting up.