#11 - Jenna

"Are you ready to go?" Jenna asked, popping her head in the doorway to the bedroom. "Almost," I replied as I slipped on my yellow-and-white sandals. I picked up my purse from the nightstand and then slipped out the door, going to the living room, where she was waiting.

Jenna looked absolutely stunning, in a red dress that highlighted the ever-so-soft reddish tint that her hair had adopted that summer. She had on her adorable sunglasses and when she smiled, her braces flashed in the overhead light.

"Come here, baby," Jenna spoke to me in a sexy voice. I obediently went to her, and she pulled me close against her side. "Come on," she said, giving my shoulders a squeeze. "We have a dance to get to!"

***

When we arrived at the dance hall, we were immediately surrounded by other young couples. Jenna looked very pretty, and I could tell that everyone wanted a piece of her. 

She, apparently, thought the same about me, because she looped her arm around my side protectively, doing what she always did - claiming me as hers. I smiled up at her, but she was engaged with talking to another girl her age, one with shoulder-length brown hair and wearing a tight black dress. Slightly miffed at her flirtatious behavior, I scooted out from underneath her arm and walked to the snack table.

I was just about to fill a cup with water from the bucket, when someone grabbed me from behind.

I almost screamed, but the mystery person quickly whispered in my ear, "No, don't! It's okay, I'm not here to hurt you! I just need to talk to you where your girlfriend can't see. I'm sorry for scaring you." "It's okay," I mumbled. "But why do you need to talk to me where Jenna can't see?" "I just do," the person mumbled hurriedly. "Please, just come with me?" "Okay," I said, cautiously following behind the person as they led me off of the dance floor.

The person led me to a secluded room away from the dance floor, and flicked on a light switch overhead. The single light bulb illuminated the small space, allowing me a good look at whoever had grabbed me.

It was a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, wearing a sky blue sundress. She looked to be about fifteen or sixteen. "My name's Rayna," she introduced herself. "But most people call me Ray." I smiled slightly and said, "Okay, Ray. My name's Emma." She nodded.

"So, uh, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, self-consciously pulling on the hem of my yellow dress. "You," Rayna said, her tone softening greatly. "What - what do you mean?" I stuttered nervously. "What about me?" Rayna stepped closer and reached out to brush her fingers softly across my cheek. 

I immediately flinched, and Rayna drew back sharply. She said, "I couldn't help but notice the bruise on your cheek." I touched my cheek, suddenly aware of the fact that some of my makeup must have rubbed off so that my bruise was visible. I blushed furiously. 

How could you have been so stupid and thoughtless?

"...And I just wanted to make sure you were okay." I tuned back into Rayna's voice long enough to hear the end to her sentence. "Oh," I mumbled, not sure what to say. I couldn't tell the truth. If I did, she would try to help and I didn't want that. I needed Jenna. I couldn't live without her. Besides, our fights were my fault, anyway. I deserved it. 

So, I smiled fakely, looked Rayna in the eyes, and said, "Thanks, but I'm fine. There's nothing to be worried about. I just fell down the stairs." Rayna looked at me for a long time before finally replying with one short, clipped word: "Okay."

***

On the car ride home, all I could think about was what Rayna had said to me. My hand involuntarily reached up to touch the bruise on my cheek, from when Jenna had slapped me yesterday for dropping a pan. I shuddered, feeling the swelling of it beneath my palm.

Something told me that what I had gotten myself into was going to be the death of my mind.

And I was right.