Chapter 16: Sweet spot

"Jiggle, haggle, John." Hiccup said.

"Who?"

"Don't worry about it" we said. We had just finished practicing and decided to take a little break after they crashed. Thankfully, none of them had any bruises nor cuts.

"Lets go back to the game!"  Toothless whined. Sometimes I think he's a five year old stuck in a dragon's body.

"Truth or dare?" I asked hiccup.

We had only started playing the game a few minutes ago. Hiccup contemplated, knowing most of my questions and dares will be about Astrid. I guess he's trying to save himself from embarrassment.

"Can we not play anymore?" He asked for the hundredth time since a few minutes ago. Toothless and I had said no each time. Toothless liked given me stupid dares to do like his first two were to climb onto the tallest tree in the cove which grew on the side of the walls and all the way to the top of the surface. I had to climb and receive the fruit from close to the top.

I recognised the fruit. It was called the rejuvenating Apple. One said that the goddess Idun made them to give eternal youth. Of course it wasn't the real rejuvenating Apple. Only the goddess can give you that.

But an old Viking gave the fruit that name because it looked like it and he thought that he was getting younger because of its sweet flavor.

It was probably the ale he drank every damn day.

Where was I?

Right, of course I climbed the tree and got the fruit,  2 actually. Hiccup and I shared while toothless ate his. The next dare was to jump into the lake from a cliff in the cove. It wasn't to high and I would've done it if I didn't have training this evening, which I am still trying to figure out how I am still alive.

I don't think toothless knows how he's keeping us alive in training.

'And he may never know either'

I sighed sadly. If we told him about training he may kill us for betrayal.

"Cant we play 20 questions instead?" Hiccup asked

I groaned. "Fine. I'll go first. What's it like in the human village?"

"Boring!" I immediately shouted as Hiccup started talking.

"Awful"

"I hate Snotlout and the twins!"

"We're the outcasts"

"It's a lot fun being around you!" we shouted all at the same time. Toothless' ears perked up at our loud commotion but then he chuckled.

He turned to me and winked at my last sentence. "Glad I could be at your service"

I immediately blushed and giggled.

Why you might ask? I have no freaking clue.

"Ok, my turn. Toothless, why don't you like your name? It's not bad" hiccup asked

"Yh, it isn't a hiccup or Hicca atleast" I muttered

Toothless' mood immediately darkened.  I could feel the connection become dense and cold. He looked away but his eyes seemed to glow brightly.

"My mom gave it to me, she is no longer alive" he said and I immediately felt sorry, sad and guilty. Guilty for asking. Our moods became sour too. From the time we've known toothless, we have more in common than we thought.

Hiccup and I looked at each other sadly and I crept forward and hugged toothless. I smiled sadly. "Dont worry, our mother died too" I whispered. He looked at me, his electrifying eyes shocked.

"Really?" He asked and looked at my brother for confirmation.

"When we were only babies" hiccup replied.

He nuzzeled me. We sat in silence, our game long forgotten. We basked in the sad atmosphere until toothless perked up. He wiggled and whirled around. I let him go and looked at him in concern.

"You ok?" I asked.

"Itch......can't......scratch!" He exclaimed. Hiccup started laughing and I glared at him. I got up and started scratching. Toothless relaxed slightly and started to purr. I laughed. I scratched at the top of his head, by the nape of his neck. He purred in satisfaction there and his tail whisked. I then scratched by his cheeks and then went under his chin.

Toothless gave a surprise yelp and then his whole body relaxed and collasped on top of me and I yelped his head landing on my stomach.

Hiccup had stopped laughing now and had looked at us in shock. "Toothless?" I asked

"I'm okay, I'm.....just..tired" he whispered

I looked up. It was a little past noon and we had training after lunch. I slowly sat up and patted toothless' head.

"We have to go, we'll see you later, Kay? I said. He grumbles something incoherent and I giggled. I kissed the top of his head and slowly crawled from under him.

"How'd you do that?" He asked

"I just scratched and when I got a specific part under his chin, he collasped" I said

"Think it'll work on other dragons?" Bro asked and I shrugged. Knowing full well we won't have time for lunch we went straight to training. Another day of hell. Honestly I'm not even questioning the god's logic any more.

******

It wasn't surprising we were late either. We got our shields and weapons and Gobber opened the gate. We were dealing with the Nader today. Yay! That was sarcasm by the way.

I had a mace today. Dont ask why, was the first thing i touched and I couldn't put it back because the Nader was out. I had to be careful knowing full well if I swung to hard, someone would miss a limp Or apart of their face.

'Damn, so wishing for it to be Snotlout!'

We ran as the Nader ran after us. Tuffnut threw a dagger at it but it reflected it with its horns.

'Really, a dagger?'

I saw it bring around its tail and I immediately dodged. Like I had predicted, spikes. This should be banned and its unhealthy. All this panick and worrying and exercise could kill someone!

No wonder we're insane.

I saw the Nader looked at me and I froze with fear. It ran straight at me and I dropped everything I had and pulled my arms to my chest in fear. I looked like it was smelling me?

"Hicca!" My brother yelled

It then opened its jaws but turned its attention to Astrid. She was running at straight at us with her axe raised and a battle cry. I gasped. If i didnt do something, she was going to kill the Nader. Not on my watch!

Feeling a surge of determination and bravery, I remembered earlier. I began scratching the Nader neck. It tensed in surprised but relaxed a bit enjoying the scratch. As I brought my hand under its chin it collasped as I rubbed the spot.

Astrid had stopped in front of me now, panting and in shock. I quickly withdrew my hand. She then stomped away and I quickly got away with my brother. Not before, again catching gothi's eyes.

After getting away my brother and I smiled excitedly. "It works on other dragons!" We exclaimed together and began laughing.

                    ********

We walked to our table with our plates in our hands and sat down. I raised my meat sandwich that Brenda made and prepared to take a bite.

Before I could our table was clouded with Vikings all cheering and asking questions. I immediately felt uncomfortable and most of all annoyed. I mean, can't they see we were eating. Me and Hiccup glanced at each other.

Something that started out as a fight for survival had turned into us finally getting attention and even if it was after all these years....

We didn't like it.

3 March 2018
Edited:2019.07.27