Chapter 8: A downed dragon is a dead dragon

Hicca's POV

So here I am, rocking back and fourth with my knees to my chest while laughing loudly as Hiccup paced our bedroom.

"That's it, I'm going crazy! There's absolutely no way! Thor's mighty hammer!" Hiccup said dragging his hand through his hair pulling his bangs back until they dropped back in their natural position.

At this I fell onto my back laughing even louder. I don't even know why. You know when you panick, you do strange things? Well after we high-jacked it out of there, I came straight home and started laughing.

"I think we should go to Gothi. We must be sick." Hiccup suggested. I kept on giggling like it was the funniest thing in the world.

"C'mon sis. This isn't funny. This is serious" hiccup said with his arms crossed.

I sat up. "I don't think that's a good idea. Wouldn't we have to explain how we found Toothless and all the other lovely little details?" I asked

Hiccup sighed. There was a knock at the door. We glanced at each other and both walked downstairs. I opened the door and what I saw surprised the hell out of me. I gasped as if all of the wind was knocked out of me. There standing at the door, was none other than the Astrid Hofferson. My jaw opened slightly in shock.

She looked at me weirdly. I didn't say anything. Like this is the first time in years Astrid has come up to our door. She shifted awkwardly at the door. Probably from my staring.
Good thing Hiccup didn't open the door.

"Is Hiccup here?" She finally spoke up. My jaw dropped entirely, I wouldn't be surprised if I caught a fly or three. She wanted to speak to my brother. Astrid wanted to speak to my brother. The Astrid Hofferson wanted to speak to the Hiccup Haddock III. My brother.

'What kind of sick game are the gods playing?!'

"Anyway, if he isn't, tell him I came to apologise and Gobber wants the class to talk over dinner by one of the watchtowers." She said, turned and began walking.

Finally finding the strength to speak. Thanks mouth."Sooo, Gobber sent you to apologise too?"

She stopped for a second before walking towards the direction I'm guessing we were suppose to go. Plus I see smoke in that direction so I'm guessing so.

I huffed and turned around slamming the door. And guess what I saw?

My brother frozen with a look of pure shock written all over his face. I smirked and walked over to him. I waved my hand in front of his have. Nothing happened. So i pushed him down and walked out the door.

"Ow!"

"C'mon lover boy. Get yourself together so we can go to dinner." I said as I walked out.

Hiccup caught up as we walked towards the southern watch tower. Everyone else was there and Gobber was telling one of his famous stories that hiccup and I have heard plenty of times. I bet I could quote all of them word for word. (Like how I can quote the Httyd movie😅)

It went on for a while as I sat awkwardly after eating my food. Hiccup was picking at his. We don't do well in a social environment.

"And he took my hand, and swallowed it whole!" Gobber continued. I sighed.

"I saw the look on his face" I nudged Hiccup and put my hand on my chest just as Gobber did and I mimicked him. "I was delicious"

Hiccup snickered softly at my antics. No one else heard or saw us. They were to interested in the story of how Gobber lost his hand and leg.

"He must've passed the word 'cause it wasnt a month before another one took my leg." He finished. Everyone wowed and ooed.

Fishlegs who sat next to Astrid started talking. Then I realised Astrid was looking over at us. I raised an eyebrow but then I realised she wasn't looking at me but rather the mirror image next to me. My brother. My eyebrows shot so high up my bangs probably covered them.

I looked from him to her but the moment was soon finished as Fishlegs stated a strange but interesting question.

"Isnt a weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon's body? You could've killed it by squeezing it's heart or something." Everyone stared at him weirdly except Hiccup as he now looked down blushing.

I leaned closer to him. "Don't think for one second that I didn't see that" I said. He blushed even harder.

"I swear I'm so angry right now!" Snotlout said as he glared at the chicken on the stick he was roasting. "I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight....with my face!"

I glared at the idiot. 'Not if they kill you first. They would roast you on the spot!'

Gobber grunted as he chewed on his chicken and proceeded to rip off a wing.

"Nuh-uh, it's the wings and the tails yuh really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away."

Toothless instantly flew into my mind. His tail doesn't look right and he couldn't fly.

"A downed dragon is a dead dragon." My eyes widened. Toothless is downed. What if the others found him?

Hiccup and I glanced at each other and he rest his stick down and we quietly left not realising that the only one seeing us leave was Astrid.

We ran to the forge and went in. I was the first one to talk.

"Hiccup...Toothless could die and after all that we've seen?"

"He didn't kill us. He let us feed him...."

'Well then again, if I were incapable of getting food and someone brought some, of course I'll eat it!'

"He could've killed us bro, but he didn't. He even felt comfortable to sleep in our presence!"

"I know sis, but, this could've been a way to get respect, a reputation." He murmured.

I narrowed my eyes not believing my brother.

"Is that how it is? A stupid title and reputation over a life?" Hiccup's eyes widened.

"A reputation could be good or bad based on your actions. Even if we don't have the best reputation right now and everyone can go from hating us to loving us, how would you feel inside? So bro, what kind've reputation would you have if you sacrifice a life? I mean yeah, you'd be loved but....how do you think that'll make me feel? How would you feel?" I said quietly.

Hiccup shook his head. "I can't believe I was about to let a living creature die. What was i thinking?" Hiccup said and smiled at me. "Thanks sis."

I flipped my hair dramatically and smiled. "No problem bro, your awesome little sister will always come to your rescue"

"Ok, let's figure out how to save a dragon" he said as I pulled out my sketch book and he drew the other fin. We talked about the design which took a while and then we started to design.

"You know this might not work right?" Hicc said while I got the heating table going with the bellows. I nodded. There was some metal rods in and we melted them.

"Doesn't hurt to try"

Hiccup then grabbed it and started hammering on it and dunked it in the water. While I grabbed some leather and started sewing. It took me a while to make it as the same design. Hiccup got some old rotten shields and started pulling it apart to get the metal as we made some small pulleys and gears. When all the parts were finished, Hiccup assembled them together.

I got to say, it looked perfect. I just hope it works.

Edited: 2019.07.27