Once Upon A Glade~ Newt (Part Two)

"I didn't see you today," Newt said, taking his place next to you at dinner. "Where were you? I spent the whole day looking for you."

Shit. You knew that you'd have to tell Newt about your new occupation sooner or later, but you weren't ready for this conversation. Not now. You lowered your gaze to the plate in front of you because you were unable to meet Newt's stunning blue eyes.

"I was in the maze," You muttered. You heard Newt slam his dish onto the table in anger and cringed. He was never so pissed off about anything.

"The maze? What the bloody hell were you doing in the maze?!?" He shouted. His face was red, but he still seemed to be on the brink of tears.

"I-I'm a runner, Newt," You stuttered, looking down at the table. You couldn't bear to see his gorgeous blue eyes fill with tears.

"I thought you wanted to work with me?" Newt asked, his voice shaky.

"I do, it's just that Minho, Alby, and Gally think it's for the best," You explained, finding the courage to meet his eyes.

"Why? They know you're the best bloody thing that's ever happened to me, why would they do that?"

"Do what?" Gally asked, taking the spot next to you. You glare up at him as he literally starts eating off your plate, and you fight the urge to slap him.

"Why would you send Y/N out into the maze? You know how much she-" Newt screamed, then stopped upon seeing that the other gladers turned their attention to the fight at your table. You felt heat rush to your face.

"It's for the best. Sorry," Gally said with a careless shrug.

"Sorry won't cut it, Gally! You can't bloody do this! She'll die out there!" He replied, his voice cracking on the last word.

"She'll be safe with Minho. And if I remember correctly, this wasn't your decision. It was mine, Alby and Minho's. And Alby outranks you, so keep your mouth shut. C'mon Y/N, lets go," Gally demanded, grabbing your elbow.

He pulled you away from the table despite the way you kicked and dragged your feet. Once you saw that escape was futile, you glanced back at your crush, only to find him staring down at his plate. You wanted to call out to him, apologize, but you couldn't find the strength to. All you wanted to do was run to the homestead and cry.

You heard Minho talking to you, but you couldn't find the strength to listen. Your mind kept wandering to Newt, who looked so heartbroken upon discovering that you were going into the maze. Would he hate you forever? Would you lose your only, closest companion? It made you sick.

"Are you even shucking listening?"

You were pulled away from your train of thought by Minho. You stopped running and turned to him to find his blue eyes widened with worry and regret.

"Let's stop for a sec," he suggested, grabbing you by the elbow and pulling you against the stone.

"I'm sorry this had to happen, Y/N. Really," he said, putting a hand on your shoulder as you slouched against the stone.

"I hate this!" You turned and slammed your fist into the stone, then had to bite down on your lip to say things no girl should say.

"I know, I know, but me and Gal and Alby? We care about you a lot. I hate seeing you like this, but it won't last long." He leaned forward and kissed the top of your head. It wasn't romantic, almost... fatherly. You honestly didn't expect much else from one of the guys who practically adopted you after you arrived in the glade.

"I know-" your sentence was cut short. You still aren't sure why, but it was as though someone had taken over your body.

Minho took notice of what was going on and shook your shoulder lightly. You continued to stare straight ahead, ignoring the keeper.