Chapter 24

In the days that followed Donnie tried to keep himself busy with the plans to find and retrieve the scabbard. After all, it was his only hope at freedom.

Xander continued to tell them of rumors of Liam and his crew hanging around town, no doubt waiting for their moment to strike. To top it off the Caith Sith could still be found lurking just off the school grounds or at teen haunts too. Which made him wonder what did they expect? Was he supposed to just show up for a drink at club NYX or over at the bowling alley. Obviously both parties seriously underestimated his respect for life, especially his own.

Donnie was getting anxious; each night he laid his head down in another location never staying in one place for more than two nights in a row. Liam or the Caits couldn't stakeout everyone's place at the same time, and in this way he was able to escape detection.

Kelly hadn't said a word to him since her famous last words which still haunted him. He wished he could ask someone if they knew what they meant, but he knew talking about her private life at all would be considered a betrayal to her, so he kept his hurt and bewilderment to himself.

Kelly continued to hang out with Xander and it would appear that they were dating again, but as usual nothing was official. They hadn't stood up in front of the group and announced anything, but if the way they were constantly playing tonsil hockey was any indication, well then yeah they were dating again.

Finally when Zach came to him and said he was ready to approach Knight and ask him about Excalibur and the scabbard, he asked to come along, and at first Zach objected but Donnie insisted that the success of this part of the plan was crucial to his freedom and Zach couldn't fault his logic so he reluctantly agreed.

Now they were standing outside Knight's class at lunch hoping to corner him before he went down to the teacher's lounge. Before they had gotten here Zach explained what the holdup was. He had to make sure that he had a good excuse for asking his questions and that his excuse wasn't a lie, but the truth.

It had taken him some time to convince Ms. Long to allow him to do an extra credit paper on Excalibur, specifically, the myth versus the facts. Finally she'd agreed to give the entire class the assignment and since this class was a prerequisite class then they could all ask questions freely without suspicion of there being ulterior motives.

It couldn't have worked out better in the end, but that didn't save Zach and him from feeling nervous. There was a lot riding on whether they could get the right information out of Sir Galahad the once and noble knight of the round table and King Arthur's court, or as he is currently known, Timothy Knight, high school teacher extraordinaire.

The information he was able to provide would tell them if they even needed to approach le Fay or if they would have to start searching in another direction. Donnie had to chuckle when he thought of the two teacher's Knight was the teacher they preferred to take a chance on first, which said a lot about le Fay.