Chapter 12

Cam met up with Megan after training in the school parking lot. His double hadn't disappeared as he had hoped and he was taking up residence in Meg's back seat when he got in. Megan turned to him with an expectant look, but the last thing he wanted to do was relay the tale twice.

"I know you want to know what I saw, but can it just wait until we get to Lauren's?"

"Yeah sure Babe. It's only five minutes away anyway."Megan said as she started the car and threw it into reverse.

Cam was grateful that, of the entire gang, Lauren lived the closest to the school. He wanted to get this discussion over with so he could get to work on a solution to his problem. It was starting to look to him like the magical world was conspiring against him to keep him from finding the answers he sought, but he was going to have to start prioritizing better because he felt like shit.

While Cam sat quietly staring out the window watching the San Francisco neighborhoods fly by, one word kept running through his head:

WHY?

He couldn't figure out what the council was up to, but maybe together he and the gang could.

When they pulled up next to Lauren's house they could see that Xan's monstrosity of a motorbike was already there. He hoped they were all there, because he wanted to get this over with so he could have some alone time with Meg and figure out what to do with the lump of magical flesh in her backseat.

As if Meg could read his mind she asked, "Should we leave him in the car or bring him in?"

"Hell no! We're not leaving him out here. He might suddenly get a thought and run off on his own." Cam shuddered at the thought.

"Okay in it is then."

Cam opened the back door and grabbed his arm or the arm of his double. This was confusing and awkward, and he wished they had found another way to track the changelings. How was he going to reverse this; what if it was permanent?

He'd have to tell his father and for sure his father would ground him for so long that he would forget what sunlight looked like.

Would he end up with a magical mentally challenged twin brother? It would serve him right if he did. He should know better by now not to mess with magic, because it had a tendency to bite back.

How would his dad even explain that to this mom? Hey hun your first birth was actually a double birth, but you just don't remember. She'd never buy it. It sounded too much like the plot of a bad telenovela.

He was just thinking about how sharing his room was going to suck while Meg and he walked his twin into Lauren's house and sat him down on the living room floor. The Cam doll just sat there with his legs flopped out around him awkwardly.

It was weird to see himself in 3D. When he started looking more closely everyone else came forward to do the same.

"That is so effing cool Brah he even has your blackheads!" Kyle said in awe.

"Yeah all he needs is that stupid puka shell necklace you wear and we wouldn't know the difference." Travis blurted out.

"Hey!" Cam objected, "My dad gave me that!

The whole room erupted with laughter at Cam's indignation.

"Okay everyone let's get started," Zach interrupted, "I don't know about you but I'm dying to know what happened."

Everyone took a seat and he was lucky enough to nab the single overstuffed chair. Quickly he grabbed Megan's waist and pulled her down into his lap. He needed her nearness to get through the gory tale.