Chapter 28

I've decided since my in box has been flooded with inquires as to who is going to live and who is going to die that I would post the next chapter early. It will be a short chapter, but I've decided as well that I will post every day or second day until the crisis for the teens of Haven High is resolved. They will be shorter chapters, but they're worth it . . . believe me. 

Zach went down like a sack of potatoes, and with no one to catch them, Lauren went with him.

She tried to extricate herself from his arms before they made contact with the ground, but failed miserably. Sending out a mental apology, she landed on him with a sickening crunch.

She did however manage to roll off him as quickly as she could. Once on her feet, she frantically looked to her mentor for what do to next. Lauren couldn't believe it; even in a situation like this Morgan le Fay was cold and aloof.

Her teacher just looked at her passively and commanded; "Get yourself checked out by a medmage," before pointing to the crowd of kids huddled in the center of the tent.

But Lauren could barely understand her. The blast had done concussive damage to her inner ear and the wails and cries of her fellow classmates sounded muffled and garbled like she was listening to the sound from the bottom of a deep dank well.

When she looked around at the chaos all around her, she was surprised to see that emergency help had arrived.

She'd heard of the medmages before; they're the Enlightened who work in hospitals around the world misdiagnosing supernatural mishaps as mundane human maladies to protect the magical community.

Now here they were by the dozens working diligently with the injured taking the least injured kids away on stretchers and teleporting the others.

Lauren bellowed, "Over here," to one of them and he came rushing over.

When he knelt down to examine Zach, she whined, "Please help him. He saved us. He blocked most of the flying debris." She was babbling hysterically now.

The Mage grabbed her arm, looking deeply into her eyes and calmly but firmly ordered "Miss you need to move and let me do my work; your friend is gravely injured."

Lauren paled and stepped back in shock when she heard the word 'gravely'.

"G-g-g-ravely," she stammered out loud, "like as in grave?" She swallowed reflexively.

le Fay grabbed her and said, "You need medical attention," but Lauren refused to budge. She wasn't going anywhere. What if he needed her or her magic or something? NO F'N way was she moving!

She hadn't taken her eyes off him, but for a second to try and tell her irritating mentor she was all right, but she had, and when she looked back the Mage had ripped open Zach's shirt and had magically made the tie she had been pulling on all night jokingly disappear.

When she saw the reason why she lost it and began to wail.

The Mage was cupping his hands about a foot or two over his chest and was sending jolts of electricity into his body in short waves.

Zach's entire form was arcing off the ground with each blast.

That's when she saw le Fay coming for her with that God awful finger.

"Nooooooo, "she wailed!

She knew what she meant to do and she started fighting fiercely: swiping at her, batting at her arm, yelling, "No I need to stay awake to make sure he doesn't die!"

She hadn't realized she's screamed that last bit. In fact, in her concussive state, she hadn't realized she had screamed it all.

All of a sudden Lauren was fighting le Fay like an alley cat on its last life thinking if she thinks I'm leaving Zach's side when he's dying or already dead she can go fuck herself, and she might even have said as much.

<>

But as it turns out the hateful wench didn't actually need to touch her, because before she knew it, the darkness was closing in on her as she thought please dear God don't let him die.