Chapter 30

last chapter before the epilogue :(

"You look beautiful, babe." My mother says, smoothing out the ends of my hair. "I can't believe you're all grown up." Her eyes glossed over with tears as a proud smile appeared on her face. "If you cry, I'll cry." I laughed, wiping under her eyes. "And it took me a hell of a long time to do my makeup."

"Sorry," She chuckled. "I just can't believe you're graduating today." A sad smile creeps onto my face as I look my mom in the eyes. "Y'know, I think I'm going to miss it. A lot happened this year, some bad, some good, but it helped me realize what I want my life to be like. And you were a big part of that. So, thank you."

Without a word, my mother pulls me into a tight hug and rubs my back. "I am so proud of you, sweetheart. I can't believe you've turned into such an amazing young woman." A small tear threatened to escape my eye before I blinked it away and pulled away from the hug. "Alright," I chuckled, adjusting my cap. "Enough of the sappy shit. I have a stage to walk across."

"Right." Collecting our things, my mom and I start to walk out of the house before my phone buzzes in my hand. Looking through the multiple messages, I smiled and replied to them before sighing. Still no word from Cameron.

From: Dove
so proud of you bby! you strut across that stage and make everyone hate themselves in envy x

To: Dove
ilysm thanks for always being there babe! and don't you worry, i will!

From: Kelly
heard someone's graduating ;) love and miss you xx

To: Kelly
<3 love and miss u 2

From: Sofia
hey beautiful girl! i hope today goes well! you'll do great x

To: Sofia
love u sofia!

From: Booboo
don't trip

To: Booboo
fuck u

"Come on! We're gonna be late!" My mom called from the car. "Well, we would've been there already if you didn't have an emotional break down in the living room." I joked, climbing in the passenger's seat. 

We arrived at the school a few minutes later and I could feel the anxiety bubbling up inside of me. "Don't worry," My mom said, as if reading my mind. "You'll be fine. Let's go." We climbed out of the car and towards the school where graduates were standing around with their families and friends, waiting for the ceremony to start.

"Elena!" A voice called. "Alex!" We ran towards each other before he swept me up into a hug. "We're graduating! Who the fuck let that happen?" He shouted, gaining dirty looks from teachers. I released a loud laugh and smiled. "I can't believe it! We're done with this shithole."

"What I can't believe is that we aren't going to the same school next year." He pouted. "Oh shush. You'll make Queens University your bitch." I laughed, smacking him on the shoulder. "You bet I will." He smirked. "You guys ready to head in?" Sam asked, walking over to us. "There's the Harvard man!" I shouted, flinging my arms around him. "Yeah, yeah. Come on, they're going to start without us." He chuckled, placing his arm around my waist and guiding me towards the gym.

We took our seats near the stage and watched as the lights dimmed and the spotlight moved toward the stage where the principal stood. "Welcome, parents, teachers, students. Today we're here because our children have grown up and entered adulthood. The past four years have been full of joy and preparation for all of the opportunities that are available to them today."

His speech went on for way longer than it honesty should have and to be honest, I saw a couple people start to nod off. "Here's our valedictorian." At that I cheered loudly, clapping wildly as Sam made his way to the stage.

"Fellow graduates, man does it sound weird to say that." He chuckled, getting a similar reaction from the crowd. "Today is the day we finally get out of this place and hope to never return. That was a joke," He said, turning to face the teachers. "But anyways, we're finally free! We're all going to more forward with our lives. College, university, travel, the world is our fucking oyster!" To this, the crowd cheered loudly than I could have ever imagined. "I just wanna say thanks to all of my friends, classmates, and teachers for making these four years somewhat tolerable. Here's to the next chapter of our lives!" With those final words, the crowd cheers and he makes his way off the stage.

The principal started to call students names and we each took our turn walking across the stage. "Amber Alexis." I smiled and clapped lightly for my friend. Obviously, when I lost touch with Vanessa, any contact I had with Amber just kind of vanished. Her and Vanessa were like two peas in a pod now and I was fine with it.

"Alexander Carter." Whooping, I stood up along with some of my other classmates and clapping for him. He was well loved at our school, that much was obvious. "Go Alex!" I shouted, laughing as he got on stage and bowed toward the crowd.

"Samuel Darius." I shook my head at the name and chuckled. Sam hated his name, the only person that calls him Samuel is his grandmother and his last name is practically foreign to the student body. "Yeah Samuel!" I laughed.

"Elena Parker." I stood up when my name was called and chuckled at the applause I was getting. I looked out toward the crowd and smiled at my mom and my friends before accepting my diploma and walking back off the stage.

The rest of the names are read off and the principal smiles. "And that is our graduating class of 2016!"

(lol i'm aware it's 2017 but i started this story in 2015 so like..) 

The whole graduating class stood and threw their hats in the air, cheering and shouting at the realization that our high school experience is officially over. "We did it!" I shouted over the noise, hugging Sam and Alex. "On to bigger and better things baby!" Alex whooped, slinging his arms over Sam and I. "Hell yeah!"

We took a few pictures and talked for awhile before I left to go find my mom. "Looking for someone?" A voice called from behind me. I spun around as a huge smile made it's way onto my face. "Cameron!" I shouted, jumping onto my boyfriend. "What are you doing here?" I asked him, pulling away but still keeping my legs tightly wrapped around his torso. "You didn't think I would miss your graduation, would you?"

I leaned down and placed a kiss on his lips, my smile never faltering. "I love you so much." I said, making his smile widen. "I love you too." 

"Elena!" My mom shouted, walking over to us. "I see you found your graduation present." She chuckled as Cameron released me and I was placed back on the ground. "You knew about this?" I asked, shocked. "Of course."

She took a couple photos of Cameron and I, then a couple of just me. "Here, let me take a couple of the two of you." Cameron offered, taking my mom's phone and lightly pushing her in my direction. We took some more pictures before we decided it was time to go. As we were leaving the gym, I caught Vanessa's gaze. We stared for a couple seconds before I sent her a nod and a small smile. She did the same and we left the gym.

"So glad that's over." I sighed, climbing into the car. "The ceremony?" Cameron chuckled. "No," I laughed, looking at him over my shoulder. "High school."

The three of us laughed as we drove off towards the restaurant where we were going to celebrate. It was in this moment where I felt truly happy. Where I'm with the two people I really love, celebrating an accomplishment that I can actually be proud of.

Whatever the world had in store for me, I was ready to take on. I felt powerful, on top of the world even. I was ready for the next chapter of my life to begin and to close this one. It's been one hell of a journey, that's for sure. There's been so many ups and downs that brought me to this stage in my life and I'm thankful for each and everyone of them.

Bring it on world.