Chapter 27

lol i finally updated? it's super short and kinda a filler but it's something.

+

It was now December and Vanessa and I still weren't talking. We made the occasional small talk when we hung out as a group but we're no where near as close as we used to be. Speaking of not speaking, that's the deal with me and Cameron. We haven't talked at all. Sometimes I indirect him on Twitter and he'll indirect me back but we haven't actually reached out to one another.

I know he's doing exactly what I asked him to do -- give me space -- but it's sad. He became such a big part of my life so quickly and now he's gone. We're not even in the same country anymore. At least, that's what I thought.

"Elena! Can you come down here please?" My mom called from downstairs. "Yeah just a sec!" I called back, closing my laptop and making my way to the kitchen. "What's up?" I asked, taking a seat across from her. "The Boyce's are coming to stay with us for Christmas! Isn't that exciting?"

I was speechless. Cameron was going to be staying here. In my house. Sleeping down the hall from me.

Shit.

"Uh, yeah mom, that's awesome. Why the sudden trip?" I asked, eyeing my mother. "Since Libby and I never get to see each other, we thought it'd be a great idea since you're so close with Cameron and Maya."

"Let me get this straight, they gave up a beautiful warm Christmas in California for the hell like surroundings of Canada? Americans really are crazy." I sighed. "It was their idea. They've never had a white Christmas as a family so when I suggested that we spend Christmas together Libby had started buying their tickets."

"When are they coming?" I inquired, leaning against the kitchen counter. "Tomorrow." She replied simply. "What? But mom, tomorrow is the start of winter break! I'll have to entertain them the whole time instead of hanging out with my friends! At least tell me they're only staying for a week."

"Nope. They're staying the whole break. Two full weeks! I'm so excited." My mom squeals like a teenage girl. "This day is just getting worse and worse, isn't it?" I muttered under my breath. "What was that?" My mom asked. "Nothing."

Without another word, I exited the kitchen and hauled myself back into my room. "Why does God hate me?" I asked aloud, stuffing my face into my pillow. I stayed like that for an hour until my phone buzzed from beside me.

Group: Dove & Sofia

From: Dove
what's this i hear about u and cam spending christmas together?????

From: Sofia
yeah explain pls

To: Dove & Sofia
i just found out an hour ago

To: Dove & Sofia
trust me, i am not excited about this

From: Dove
do u think you'll get back together?

To: Dove & Sofia
doubtful. we haven't talked since i left california

From: Sofia
you'll be all cuddled up by the fire, drinking hot chocolate, watching christmas movies under the mistletoe..... if you manage to escape that whole trip without hooking up then i'll quit acting

From: Dove
^^

To: Dove & Sofia
you guys are delusional

I turned off my phone after that. "What am I gonna do?" I asked myself, staring up at the ceiling.

I spend the next few hours over thinking everything. I tried to watch a show on Netflix, listen to music, even tried getting lost in a book, but every time my mind drifted back to that freckled face that I tried so hard to hate.

I hadn't seen him in three months and yet the image of his face is clear as day in my mind. He was all I could see, all I could hear, all I could smell. I still had one of his sweaters tucked away somewhere.

I slowly got up and made my way over to my closet, searching through all of my clothes until I found what I was looking for. Eventually I pulled out a grey hoodie with the word 'California' embroidered in the front.

I brought it up to my face, inhaling the scent before holding it tight against my chest. I hadn't even noticed I was crying until I felt something wet drop onto my hand. "Elena? Are you alright?"

I hastily wiped away my tears and looked over to my door where my mother stood with a concerned look on her face. "Yeah mom. I'm fine."

I stuffed the sweater in the back of my closet before taking a seat on my bed and offering her a weak smile. "Just got lost in a memory. Nothing to worry about."

"Are you sure?" She asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I nodded my head, taking her hand in mine. "I'm fine. I promise." I could tell she didn't believe me but thankfully she dropped it anyways. "Alright. I'm gonna go get the mail." And then she was gone.

I released a sigh and ran my hands down the front of my face. "Tomorrow is truly going to suck."