Chapter 23

okay so a little side note: i love that you guys are excited for the new update but i just updated on friday and that fact that some of you guys are demanding a new update kind of makes me lose inspiration to get you guys new content and makes this feel like more of a job than a hobby. with that said, i love all of you but please don't rush me.

Cameron's POV

Elena left the house quickly. I could tell she was uncomfortable but could you blame her? "Girlfriend, huh?" Rosie said, breaking the silence. This was the first time I'd seen her since that day and it was tearing me apart on the inside.

After our breakup, Rosie's family moved to New Jersey so they could look after her sick aunt. I thought I'd never see her again and that was more than okay with me. She hurt me. She held my heart in her hands and waited for the right moment to throw it on the ground and shatter it into a million pieces. I could only imagine why she's suddenly standing in my living room.

"Yeah," I said dryly, tucking my hands into the front pocket of my jeans. "She's pretty. How long have you been dating?" She asks, playing with strand of her hair. She was nervous. She may seem like one of the most confident people on the planet but I knew her better than that. "A little over a month."

She opened her mouth to respond before I cut her off, "What are you doing here, Rosie?" She sent me a small smile and looked down to the ground. "I'm back. We flew into LA last night."

"I don't mean here in California. What are you doing here?" Silence. That's all that could be heard. It was like my question caught her off guard. Like she expected to just waltz back into my house like she never left and strike up a conversation about the weather. "I came to see you Cam, to talk." Her emerald green eyes bored into my own brown ones and I lost myself in the familiarity of them before snapping back to reality.

"Talk about what? You hurt me and then left. You left Rosie, what could you possibly have to say to me?" My voice cracked on the last syllable and I silently cursed myself for letting her know how much of an effect she still has on me. "I still love you Cameron." She spoke causing me to scoff and roll my eyes. "Please. You never loved me."

"But I do Cameron! Jason was a mistake and I knew that even as it was happening. I was upset and scared and Jason came by the house to work on a project. He talked to me and listened while I cried. It all happened so fast but the second it was over I regretted every second."

"That's only because I walked in on the two of you. If I never showed up you probably would've never told me." I scoffed. "Cameron," She said, grabbing my hand and turning me to face her. "I wish I could take it back. Every second of it. When I realized how bad I hurt you I couldn't live with myself. We may have moved to help my aunt but the time away turned me into a better person. I've accepted my mistakes and came to make it right. I love you Cameron." I could see her eyes starting to glaze over and it pained me to see her upset.

After all this time I still cared about her and I always will. "So what? You just expect me to listen to this and then we can get back together and live happily ever after?" I asked. "I can make you happy Cameron. Remember our time together? It was magical." She smiled, placing her hand over my heart. "We can have that again." She said just above a whisper.

We were so close. I could smell the mint chewing gum on her breath and it was driving me insane. My emotions were running so high I couldn't think straight. "No," I said, breaking away from her. "I have Elena now. We're happy. You can't just insert yourself back into my life."

"I know, I know. But Elena can't make you half as happy as I did and you know it. We can work this out, you just have to trust me."

"Trust you? You cheated on me, Rosie! Asking for forgiveness is one thing but trust needs to be earned. It's not a right." I scoffed, walking further into the living room. "I know I hurt you. I want to make it right again. I want us to be happy together." She smiled, walking right beside me and grabbing my hands in her own.

"Rosie.." I breathed, looking down at our hands. "Sh, it's alright." She whispered, lifting my chin up with her finger before placing her hands on my shoulders, bringing me closer to her. "We can be happy." On instinct, I cupped her cheeks in my hands and caressed her soft skin. I knew it was wrong. My mind was all over the place I was having a hard enough time remembering my name.

Without another thought, our lips connected. I don't know if it was me who leaned in or the other way around but it happened and neither of us was moving away. She tasted like strawberries. Just how I remember.

Our lips moved together in sync and she gripped my t-shirt in her hands. The kiss was soft and delicate but it was enough to drive me crazy. "Cameron?" A voice cracked, snapping me back to reality. I pulled away from Rosie and looked in the direction of the voice where a heartbroken looking Elena stood. "El," I said softly, untangling myself from the girl next to me. "El, I'm so sorry. I can explain." I blurted out.

"Save it." She snapped, turning on her heels and storming out of the house. "Elena," I breathed, grabbing her wrist and spinning her around. "Please don't go." I begged. I could feel the tears threatening to escape and I blinked them away the best I could. "Goodbye Cameron." She said softly, ripping her wrist out of my grasp and walking down the street.

"Elena." I called, jogging after her. "Elena!" I shouted.

"Shit." I muttered, running my hands through my hair and tugging on the ends. Idiotically enough, I punched the brick wall of my house as the tears flowed freely down my face.

TWO DAYS LATER

Elena's POV

"Here babe. Maya dropped off some of your things." Dove said, handing me a bag filled with my clothes. I offered her a weak smile and placed the bag down on the floor next to me. I've been staying with Dove for the last few days and she's been so amazing.

She let me stay in her guest room where I've made myself a hibernation cave. When I haven't been crying my eyes out or stuffing my face with ice cream, I've been sleeping. That's pretty much been the routine for the last few days.

"You'll be okay, babe." Dove said softly, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "You'll always have me." She said as she pulled me into a hug. We broke apart when the doorbell rang and Dove rushed to go answer it.

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, the first time I've left my room since I've been here, cuddled up with a blanket and watching Netflix. I saw my reflection for the first time earlier and I almost passed out. My eyes were bloodshot, my hair was a rat's nest and my face was beyond puffy. I don't know how Dove can stand to be in the same room with me.

"Is she here?" I heard faintly.

Cameron.

It hurt just to hear his voice. "She doesn't want to see you Cameron." Dove said, holding her ground. "Is she- is she okay?" He asked, his voice cracking. "She's heartbroken. You really hurt her Cam."

"Can you let her know that I miss her and I want her to come home?"

"Sure Cameron." That was the end of their conversation. The door closed soon after and Dove rejoined me on the couch. "How much did you hear?" She asked. "All of it." I muttered, staring at the television screen. "If it's any constellation, he looks just as torn up as you do. Maybe even worse."

"He doesn't have a right to act like the victim. He brought this on himself." Dove nodded her head and silence fell upon us. "You'll get through this, El." With those words, the blonde exited the room and into her own.

I heaved a sigh and turned off the television. "What has my life turned into?" I muttered to myself before trudging into my room.

A ringing brought me out of my thoughts and I reached to grab my cellphone. "Hello?" I said into the phone. "Elena baby! How are you?" It was my mom. I smiled wide and ran a hand through my hair. "I could be better. How's England?"

"That's actually why I called, I'm almost done here! I can come pick you up from California in a couple weeks and we can go home!" I was speechless. I knew it was going to happen but I didn't expect it to be this soon. It's only August after all. "Really?"

"Yeah! I miss you so much Elena." She said softly. "I miss you too, mom. I'll see you soon."