Chapter 9

It was Monday. Which means both Maya and Cameron were at school.

It was their last week.

I had nothing to do today. As I was laying in my bed thinking about what I could do to possibly entertain myself, my phone rings.

Incoming call from Birth Giver

I smile widely and answer the phone.

Believe it or not this is only the second time, besides a few texts here and there, that I've talked to her since she left.

"Hey mom!"

"Hi sweetie! How's Los Angeles?"

"It's great! I've made a few friends, which is good. How's England?"

"I love it. I haven't had much time to explore the city because I've been very busy but from what I've seen, it's beautiful."

"How's work been? Is everything going alright?"

"It's been stressful, but it's nothing I can't deal with. How's Libby treating you? Are you getting along with the family?"

"Yeah actually. Libby is the sweetest thing. The family is great. All very welcoming."

"That's good. Listen sweetie, I have to go to work."

"Oh, okay. I love you."

"Love you too, baby."

Then the line goes dead.

I sigh and toss my phone to the side.

I lug myself out of my bed and go to the bathroom.

Once I'm done I go downstairs for breakfast.

I'm surprised when I find Victor sitting at the island sipping on a cup of coffee.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have to work?" His head snaps in my direction and he puts his coffee down.

"I wasn't feeling the greatest this morning so I called in sick." I nod my head and fix myself a bowl of cereal.

I plop down on one of the bar stools and start eating my breakfast.

We sit in silence until he starts up a conversation.

"So what are you going to do today?"

I look up at him and swallow my cereal before responding.

"Well usually when I'm home alone, I help out around the house. You know, do the dishes, tidy up some of the rooms, stuff like that." he seemed surprised by my answer.

"You don't have to do that."

"Oh no, I want to. You guys are letting me live here until my mom gets back, it's the least I could do."

"Is that why everything always looks so clean?" he laughs. I let out a small chuckle and nod my head.

"So have you talked to your mom recently?"

"Yeah, I actually talked to her a few minutes ago."

"Oh really? How's she been?"

"She's been good, yeah. She's enjoying it. She says works a little stressful, but she can handle it."

He nods his head and silence soon overcomes us again.

"Well, I'm going to go rest for a little while. Feel free to do anything you please. If you leave the house, make sure to lock the door. Other than that, have fun." he says and walks out after putting his coffee cup in the sink.