Chapter 3

I squint my eyes, letting them adjust to the light.

I roll over and check my phone seeing that I had a text from Vanessa.

From: V baby
smh you never texted me when you got to LA.

To: V baby
sorryy!! well, im in LA :)

From: V baby
......

To: V baby

ok im sorry, but you'll never guess who i met..

I slip my phone in the pocket of my shorts and head to the bathroom.

When I finish my business I go downstairs, finding it awfully quite in the house.

Walking into the kitchen I find a note taped to the fridge.

'Elena,

Victor and I have to work this morning and the kids are at school. Help yourself to anything in the kitchen. Maybe you can redecorate your room. There's paint in the garage and the home supply store is down the street :) I'll be home around 5:30 but if you feel like leaving, we keep the spare key under the plant pot on the porch.

-Libby'

The clock on the microwave reads 11:13 am.

I sigh and pour myself a bowl of cereal. Once I'm done I put my bowl in the sink and decide to do the rest of the dishes.

I go upstairs and change into a plain black crop top and some white shorts that I bought at the mall with Vanessa.

I grab my phone, headphones, and my wallet then slip on my white vans and head out the door.

After locking up the house with the key that Libby told me about, I slip it back under the pot and start walking down the street.

I don't really have a set destination but I just felt like wondering.

I plug my head phones in and blast some G-Easy.

While I'm walking my phone buzzes in my back pocket.

From: V baby
WHO????

To: V baby

I'll call you later, i'm exploring the city

To: V baby

wait, shouldn't you be in class??

From: V baby

babe it's 3 o'clock. what time is it there?

To: V baby

12

From: V baby

weirrd. are you jet lagged ?

To: V baby

yeah, but it's not that bad. I did end up going to bed at 9 last night and woke up at 11

From: V baby

you slept 11 hours? lmfao

To: V baby

well yeah but how is that different from I how much sleep I usually get

From: V baby

tru tru

I find this cute little diner, not to far from the house, and walk inside.

I take a seat at a booth in the far corner beside the window.

I look out of the window and admire everything. I've always loved the city. Growing up, LA was the one place I've always wanted to go, and now I'm here.