Chapter seventeen

Dedicated to OnosAbel.

He quickly redrew and pushed me roughly aside. He strode to where his clothes were lying and wordlessly started putting them on. I looked on, not reacting. My mind was blank and I felt paralysed with terror. Was this the end of my marriage. The room suddenly felt hot. I couldn't breathe. It felt like I was being submerged under water and I couldn't come up. I was suffocating.

I came out of my stupor by the cluck of his keys. He was almost out of the door before my legs move out of their own accord to follow him.

"Baby where are you going?" I requested clenching the bed sheets tightly around me to cover my nakedness.

"Out!" He simply replied, making an attempt to walk away.

"Baby listen to me, is not what you think," I held his arm, my voice shaking.

"I will be back to listen to whatever you have to say but please not now. I need to clear my head," He calmly said in a robotic voice.
He shrugged my hands off him and headed downstairs.

I knew if he walked out of the house, my marriage was over. I hurriedly rushed back to our bedroom and slipped on one of his shirts. I run out of the house barefooted, my heart beating faster with each step.

Praying he had not left already. The wind kept blowing my hair in my face when I took off blinding me occasionally. I brushed it aside with the tip of my fingers when I almost tripped.

He was just a few meters away from his car when I spotted him. I tossed myself at him, hugging him from the back. He became rooted at the spot, taken aback at my action. I held on tightly when he began to disentangle my hands around him. I didn't want to let go but he was much stronger as he eventually let himself loose from my hold.

He turned to watch me, wiping a stray tear from my face with his thumb. His hands lingering a bit longer there. He looked conflicted before he eventually took a step back away from me.

"I will be back for you, just allow me to clear my head, " He pleaded.

I nodded slightly in agreement, feeling defeated. His behaviour was like the calmness before the storm and I was scared out of my wits. I watched him drive away without a second glance. I felt sick with myself. Things were just going great and I messed up.
Damn you, Michael. I mentally cursed. I headed inside, feeling dejected.

I was almost past the hall when I noticed Michael heading downstairs all dressed up. My heart boiled at the sight of him. He was the reason for my problems and I loathed him. I took purposeful steps towards him whilst he stopped in his tracks.

"What is your problem?" He questioned when he noticed the murderous glint in my eyes.

" You!" I said before I slapped him.
He held my hand midair when I was about to slap him again.

" Calm down," He gently said when he noticed my tear filled eyes.

I pulled my hands from his grasp and started pushing his chest.

" I hate you, just go away !" I chanted whilst I shoved him.
He stood his ground, without moving an inch, my thrusts not having any effect on him.

" Stop it !" He chastised, perplexed at my behaviour.

"No, you stop it!" I hysterically declared hitting his chest with my fist continuously.

"What should I stop? " He demanded, not doing anything to stop me from hitting him.

"Stop taking over my life, "

"Stop running in mind,"

" Just stop ruining my love life," I retorted whilst I continued to hit him, tears running down my face with each word.

He grasped my hands tightly to stop my movements when I began to hit him at a faster rate.

" Just calm down," He stated whilst he turned me around to avoid a further beating.

He held me tightly against him when I began to sob uncontrollably, whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

I eventually calmed down as he continued to draw circles at my back to soothe me. My eyes felt heavy with sleep and I could feel myself floating in the air when he carried me bridal style. He laid me in my bed and drew up a blanket to cover me. He gently pecks my forehead and left, after switching off the light in my room.

***
My eyes fluttered open when I felt something cold on my forehead. Kiera was sitting beside me holding a wet towel to my head.

"What is going on?" I questioned.

"You are burning up. I think you have a fever, " She diagnosed.

" Does your head hurt?" She enquired.
I nodded in response not trusting my voice.

"You need to rest. I think you have been stressing yourself lately," She stated.

"Why did you come up here? " I asked my voice sounding horsey.

"Michael told me to come and check on you," She replied nonchalantly.

" Where is he?" I questioned.

" He has gone out," She answered.
We fell into a comfortable silence after our interaction.

"I'm going to bring you soup, will be back soon," She informed before she walked out.

Dr Yeboah came in a few minutes after Keira brought the soup. She excused herself, leaving us alone.

"Honey are you OK? " He asked worriedly when he noticed the towel on my head.

"Yeah am fine, just a slight headache," I replied.

My side dipped when he took a seat beside me.
" I'm ready to listen to your explanation now, " He said whilst he took my hands in his.

"Michael came to open the door when we were making love. I was just trying to draw your attention when I noticed his presence. That is why I mentioned his name. It was for you to know so that we can cover ourselves." I explained.

He looked at me clearly thinking about my words. I clenched my hand into a fist in prayer under the blanket.

" I'm sorry honey for blowing things out of proportion," He said squeezing my hands gently.

"I'm sorry for scaring you to honey," I replied before I breathed a sigh of relief.

"I guess we should lock the door next time, we journey," He replied moving close to peck my lips, which made me giggle.

I frowned when I smelled a whip of feminine perfume on him.

"What is this?" I demanded, fingering the lipstick stain on his shirt collar.

Describe Michael in one word.
How were you expecting Dr Yeboah to react?
Vote, comment, share and follow my account Gyimaya.