Chapter One

I sat in his office and cried my eyes out. I needed help urgently. My semester fees have not been paid and I wouldn't be able to register for any of the courses. I haven't slept in days and the dark circles under my eyes were a clear indication of it. I have been moving around seeking funds but to no avail.

My lecturer Dr. Yeboah cleared his throat looking uneasy, a sign that showed he wasn't used to vulnerability.

''Why are you crying?" He asked with a hint of concern in his voice.
I wiped the tears that were streaming down my face with the back of my hands.

"I am in desperate need of help, Doctor. My mother died when I was about to enter the university and my mum's friend who was taking care of me is now bankrupt. I have not been able to pay for my fees and can't register for this semester," I stated as I sobbed softly.

"Raquel, what about your father? Can't he pay for your fees?" He asked with a worried face.
I lifted my head to look at him.

"I never had a father. I don't know what he even looks like," I answered.

The fact that I was practically an orphan who was about to drop out of school made my sobs louder than before.

"Don't worry, I will pay your fees," He said.
I suddenly looked up with tears still streaming down my face.

" Really?" I asked with uncertainty.

"Yes! You are a brilliant lady and I can't watch you drop out of school," He stated firmly.

I watched in utter surprise as he took his checkbook from the drawer and signed an amount of money that was enough to pay for my school fees and hostel bill.

"Tha_nk _ you, Sir," I stuttered.

"You are welcome," He responded.

"You are getting this money but on one condition. You have to work for me as my research assistant. Can you combine that with your studies?" He questioned.

"Yes Sir, I can," I replied enthusiastically, almost jumping out of my seat to twirl in joy.

I was too happy and grateful I would have obliged to any of his requests. I gladly left his office, a visible bounce in my steps.

***
I shook my head to clear the memory of my first personal encounter with my husband. I married Dr. Yeboah two years after completing school. Even though the age gap between us was thirty years I couldn't ask for a better husband.

He was sweet and caring. Besides, we were both lonely creatures who needed someone and we found each other. Through working with him as his teaching assistant after school, I got to know the real him. We bonded and he gave me the love that was missing in my life.

I am a happy wife. Even though I get a look of disapproval when people get to know he is my husband, I don't care. I didn't marry him for his money. I married him because he sincerely cared about me and there was this safety I felt in his presence and embrace. The love between us was comfortable and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

We have been married for two years now and finally, I get to see my husband's son whom he always talks about. He was doing his master's abroad at one of the universities in the United States and he was coming home after spending ten years there. I can't say I was looking forward to meeting him.

I didn't know if he will be judging me for marrying someone as old to be my father. I am nervous today. My husband kept assuring me not to worry, constantly repeating that Michael was a nice person. I guessed I had to believe him but I just couldn't shake the feeling that something might go wrong today.

I finished setting the dinner table with the help of the housemaid Ama. I was now seated in front of the mirror putting finishing touches to my makeup. My husband headed to the airport about two hours ago to pick up his son. They could be home any moment from now.

I looked out of the window when I heard the beeping of a car horn. I inhaled and exhaled deeply to get rid of the nervousness I was feeling. It was something I did anytime I was agitated. I walked downstairs to hear my husband yelling my name. I immediately rushed down the stairs to see the entrance door open.

I blinked twice when I realized my imagination was pale compared to what was before me. Right in front of me were my husband and his son who was almost a year or two older than me. He looked much more handsome and masculine than in the pictures that my husband has shown me.

I guessed they were taken years ago. He looked nothing like his father. Whilst my husband was fat with a broad face and a pot belly, his son was the direct opposite. Tall, chocolate color, muscular with defined jaw lines and black wavy hair which he kept short.

I snapped out of my trance when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Are you okay honey?" My husband questioned.

" Yes I am perfectly fine," I replied.

" It seems you are not in the moment," He replied whilst he scrutinized my facial expression.

"I was just thinking about a few things," I stated before I looked in his son's direction. My throat instantly went dry and my heart rate picked up when I felt his intense eyes on me.

Hope you liked it. Please vote and comment. Thank you