Chapter four

This chapter is dedicated to honourable_wife

"Raquel, is everything alright?"

"You are acting strange,"

"Who is that?" Nelly continued, tapping my shoulders lightly.

"Cat got your tongue?" She persisted.

"Nelly, that is Frank," I answered still in a state of shock.

"Which Frank?" Nelly questioned.

"How many Franks have we known personally?" I retorted.

"Wait a minute. Don't tell me you are talking about Frank Asamoah. Your ex-boyfriend. The guy who broke your heart when we were in a senior high final year," She stated, whilst she watched me closely for confirmation.

"Yep, that is him," I replied.

" I remember when you first met him. It was during one of the vacation excursions which were organized for senior high schools. You were always excited whenever you talked about your first encounter with him, " She reminisced and I chuckled at the memory.

"You were a total mess when he dumped your ass," She teased and I glared at her.

"What was even his reason for dumping you?" Nelly asked deep in thought.

"He said he was now at the university and I was just a mere senior high school girl and that we weren't of the same class. Besides he was seeing girls at the university who were way prettier," I grumbled in response.

Nelly's mouth hung open in surprise.

"That was mean," She remarked.

" So how come you never told me the truth behind the breakup? I would have gone to slap the shit out of him the moment we got the chance to go out of the school," she said heatedly.

"Girl, you are crazy," I stated with a laugh.

" I just wanted to avoid any unnecessary drama. That is why I didn't tell you. Besides I understand him now. We were too young back then, and we were getting to know our real selves as well. So commitment was supposed to be out of the picture. It should have been all about fun," I told her.

"Yeah true," Nelly nodded in understanding.

"We were too busy looking for our prince charming and we expected so much from the poor guys. We were so naive," She stated and I nodded in agreement.

"Girl, when did you get this wise?" I started trying to lighten the mood.
Nelly laughed.

"I have always been the wisest," she replied. I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

"Damn girl, he looks so fine," Nelly suddenly blurted out, looking back at him through the window.

"But what the hell is he doing here? How was he able to track you down?" She questioned in shock.

"That is what we need to find out," I replied.

We rushed downstairs to open the door before he rang the doorbell.

"Raquel?" Frank questioned in an uncertain voice.

"Yep it's me, flesh and blood," I replied

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I should be asking you that. You are in my house, remember?" I replied.

He stood there checking me from head to toe. As if he was trying to convince himself that it was me.

"Raquel you look great. Better than I can remember," He stated.

I could tell he was still in a state of shock.

"Come inside," I stepped aside as I ushered him in.

"Wow, this place is nice, " He said, clearly impressed as he looked around.

"Well, is someone blind?"

Frank turned to look in the direction of the voice. His eyes grew wide as he noticed Nelly. He quickly rushed to Nelly and engulf her in a hug.

"You look sexy," Nelly told him whiles ogling him. Frank smiled.

"You never change with your flirty attitude," Frank stated.
Nelly shrugged.

"I'm a white lady trapped in an African body," she joked.
We all burst out laughing.

I asked Frank how he was able to locate me and he sheepishly admitted that he wasn't here to look for me. Upon further communication, he revealed that he was in the house to visit Michael. They met during his master's degree abroad and they became friends. I informed him Michael wasn't home and I didn't know when he will be back.

Frank attempted to apologize for breaking my heart back then but I made him know I was way over him and I let it go a long time ago. He was relieved and mentioned how he had never met someone nice to him like I was. I brushed it off and told him to stop coaxing me.

We both laughed and he dropped the topic. We reminisced about senior high school life and some fun events that we experienced during inter-college sporting activities. I don't remember the last time I was this happy talking about school life.

I excused myself to go to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water since I was thirsty. Nelly shouted for me to bring her a glass of water too. After having a drink I decided to attend to Nelly's needs.

I poured Nelly a glass of water and made my way toward the kitchen. I could hear laughter coming from the hall but now the male voices were two. Who could that be?
I stood in the hallway and I noticed it was Michael's voice.
I groaned. Could my day ever get better? I wasn't expecting him to be back so soon.
I cleared my throat to catch their attention since they were still engulfed in the conversation.

"Raquel is good you are back. We were talking about you. I was about to ask Michael why he didn't tell me he had a sister," Frank informed me.

"Sister?" Michael asks incredulously. I don't have a sister.

"What makes you think she is my sister?"He asked Frank.

"Well firstly, she lives in this house. Secondly, I know your fiancée, and it's not her. So what is she then to you? " He asked.

"Did it ever occur to you that she is my step mum?" Michael stated cringing at the last word.

"Huh?" Frank asked in a shocked state.

"How can that be?" He asked.

"Don't tell me Raquel is good for nothing, whorish gold digger you have always been whining about?" Frank further questioned still in a state of stupor.

I could see the red in the last sentence Frank made.
How dare he? My hands were visibly shaking from anger. I was shaking all over.
How dare Michael describe me with such demeaning words to Frank.

Before Michael could answer, I strode to where Michael was sitting on the couch and poured the glass of water I was holding in his face.

Hope you liked it. Please vote and comment. Thank you