CHAPTER THIRTEEN ; PICK YOUR WEAPON

Start from the beginning

A loud crash made her jolt in shock, followed by a harsh rumble. It was similar to the one she heard in the cemetery, one that sent shivers down her spine. The growl was haunting and made Stella freeze where she sat. Seconds later the sound of gunshots followed, and she felt her throat close up and her body fall into panic mode.

It is a well known fact that when many animals -- such as humans -- are put in a position of terror or extreme tension, a particular response is set off within their brains. It is called Fight or Flight. In retaliation to acute stress, the body's sympathetic nervous system is activated due to the sudden release of hormones. The sympathetic nervous systems stimulate the adrenal glands triggering the release of catecholamines, which include adrenaline and noradrenaline. 

Stella Collins had always though she was a fighter. She stood up for those in need and could throw her fist if it needed to be done. She didn't think she was afraid of much, maybe only the idea of losing those close to her or the idea of losing her roller-skates. But, as she sunk further into the costly leather seats of Steve Harrington's fine automobile, she felt a paralysing fear over come her. She didn't want to move, she didn't know if she could move. Whatever was going on inside that house -- she wanted nothing to do with. 

Then she began realising that maybe she wasn't as fearless as she had led on. She was terrified of so many things -- remembering Annie, forgetting Will, becoming so distant everyone stopped caring about her. She was afraid of hurting other people, but it appeared that maybe she was also terrified of letting herself get hurt. 

Maybe Stella Collins wasn't a fighter. Maybe she should do what she always did, like when Annie died, like when heard the noise at the cemetery, like when she heard all the ridiculous supernatural accusations floating around town -- maybe she should just run. 

Unconsciously, Stella lifted her hand and reached for the door handle at her side, her fingers gripping the plastic until her skin turned white. After hearing more yells, her dark eyes flickered back to the Byers home to see everything still once more. With her heart beating out of control, as if prompted by an electrical surge. She didn't want to blink in fear of missing anything, in fear she would come face to face with someone unknown that she didn't want to see. 

A loud slam caught her attention and nearly made her jump five feet in the air, though when her wide-eyed gaze finally settled, she realised that it was Steve sprinting out of the home with a terrified expression upon his face. The boy fumbled with the keys and Stella quickly let go of her door handle to open his for him, watching in fright as his head darting around quickly, as if looking for something to pop out at him. "Steve, what the fuck is going on?"

Steve then froze, and Stella tilted her head up at him, seeing that he was staring in back at the house with alarm soaking into his features. Stella quickly followed his line of vision, her jaw slacking slightly. The sound of electricity pulsating echoed through the cold night as the lights in the home started blinking again, and she felt goosebumps arise on the back of her neck. The sudden urge to vomit began clawing its way through her, and she reached for Steve's arm. 

"We have to go!" She exclaimed, her voice rushed and full of distress. All of a sudden, everything went quiet. Both teens kept their eyes on the home, seeing that the lights were no longer on and that the building had gone dark. Petrified tears welled up in Stella's eyes, and she couldn't force any words out her mouth. 

Steve turned to her quickly, his own eyes wide and scared. Stella had only seen him like this once, and it was tormenting to see the trepidation and dismay in the pained expression. "Stay here, okay?"

"W-What?" Stella spluttered as Steve darted off towards the property once more, leaving her alone again. The teenage girl's breath was shaky as she leapt from the car, the night air of Hawkins full of terror. She didn't feel safe in her hometown anymore, she felt suffocated and hysterical. She had no idea what to think or what to do, and all her brain was saying was run.