Chapter Nineteen

Joey's Point of View

We've played a couple of songs, and the crowd seems to be enjoying themselves. I know Georgie, Wendy, Eileen, and Carmen are at least. I can't stop thinking about what Clay told Georgie.

I doubt he can actually get Jesse thrown in jail, but what if he can? We announce our break, and I head out to the restroom. Clay stops me on my way there.

"What do you want?" I snap.

He smiles. "I suppose your girlfriend told you about my proposition," he says.

"She did. I think you're full of shit," I tell him, and cross my arms.

He laughs. "I knew you would," he says and tosses me his phone.

I look at the picture that's pulled up. It's of him and his family. "What the fuck is a family portrait suppose to mean to me?" I ask, and toss his phone back to him.

He catches it, and puts it in his jacket pocket. "My old man is Jason Tyler," he says.

I'm shocked. Jason Tyler is one of Florida's senators. "Oh," I say.

He smiles. I just want to knock his teeth in, but I'm trying to do better. It doesn't help that I had a few drinks after Georgia left. I know I shouldn't have done it, and I'm not going to do it again. It was just a goodbye drink, or three.

"Let me know when you're done being selfish," he says.

"Aren't you being a little selfish?" I ask. "I mean if you really liked her, you'd do it out of the kindness of your heart right."

He shakes his head. "My pops always told me to never give away anything, if you don't get something in return. It's business," he says.

"Well fuck you, and your old man. Georgia is worth more than some business deal," I say, and brush past him.

I use the restroom, and sit in the bathroom for a minute. I can't help but think about what Clay said. What if I am being selfish? Jesse deserves to go to jail, but I'm not going to bargain off Georgia so it'll happen.

I walk out of the restroom, and head towards the gym. "Hey aren't you Jj Carter?" A girl asks me. She has long dark hair, and dark eyes. She's wearing a black dress, and some heels.

"That's me," I say with a tight lipped smile. Those drinks I had earlier are starting to make me a little fuzzy.

"I love you, and your band," she says with a smile.

I smile back at her. "Thank you uh," I trail off.

"Beatrice," she finishes.

"Thank you Beatrice," I say.

"Is that blonde girl in the red dress your girlfriend?" She asks.

I'm confused as to why she's asking me this, but I mean since she's a fan, I guess she's just interested. "Uh Georgia, yeah," I say with a smile.

"She's a lucky girl," she says with a smile.

"I'm the lucky one," I tell her.