Chapter Six

Georgie's Point of View

Joey follows me inside and plops down on the couch next to me. "When are they suppose to be contacting you about Jesse?" He asks.

I sigh. "Soon. My mom was pissed," I say.

"I could imagine. I mean my mom was pissed when I told her," he says

"Awe. Tell Melissa I said thanks," I reply with a small laugh.

"I will," He answers. We're so close. If I lean in just a few inches I could kiss him. But he's Joey. My best friend, and nothing like that would ever happen. Do I want it to though? My phone rings before I can answer myself.

"Hello?" I answer. "It's the lawyer," I whisper walking into the kitchen.

"Hello Miss Collins. This is Marina Sanchez. Unfortunately I have to inform you that since there is not enough evidence to back up your claims we will be unable to prosecute Mr. Burke," she says. "There's no witnesses, or video of the incident. Anyone could have caused the lacerations on your face."

I'm crushed. I don't know what to say. Should I scream or cry? "Okay," I say, and hang up.

I walk out of the kitchen on the verge of tears. "They're not going to prosecute him, because there isn't enough evidence," I say.

"What the fuck?" Joey asks. He's pissed.

"Since, no one ever saw him hit me, and there's no report of it, she said there wasn't enough evidence to take him to court because anyone could have done this to me," I explain.

"That is such bullshit!" He exclaims. "How could they let him get away with this?" He pulls me close to him as I cry, and my heart breaks. I can't believe this is happening? He hits me and nothing can be done? I don't understand.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Stone asks walking in.

"They're not going to prosecute Jesse," Joey says still holding me.

"What the actual fuck is wrong with these people?" Andy snaps. It's nice that they haven't known me long, but are just as baffled by this as I am.

"His family has money," I say quietly.

"No fuck that. We'll take care of this guy ourselves," Tommy says.

"No, you guys shouldn't. It will only cause more problems," I says huggingJoey tighter. I don't want him getting any ideas. I know if I let him he would go to Jesse's house right now, and throw him another ass beating.

Stone groans and throws himself on the couch. "I hate living in a small town," he mumbles.

I look up at Joey, and he gives me a small smile.. "I'm gonna see if Wendy wants to hang out." I can't help, but smile back. His smile is so infectious.

"Okay, do you want us to give you guys girl time or something?" He asks.

I laugh, and wipe my face. "No y'all can stay. I mean I still gotta work on Stone's van," I say.

"If you don't feel up to it, it's no problem," Stone says.

I shake my head no. "No it's okay."