Vision of Beauty

A/N: Another AU I found on Instagram!

Connor wouldn't exactly call himself a shapeshifter, although technically, he was.

To him, shape-shifting was something you could control. Shape-shifting meant everyone else could see what you had become.

However, he looked different in everyone's eyes. Some people called it a gift. He changed into each person's vision of beauty. Only him and his family knew what he truly looked like.

He thought of it as a curse. People would only love him based on what they thought he looked like. He felt as though no one's vision of beauty would be what he normally looked like.

His hair was shoulder length and mousy brown. He had heterochromia, which made one of his eyes blue and the other the same colour, but with blue specks.

A few people had described what he looked like. Sometimes he was blonde. Sometimes he had glasses. Sometimes he had freckles.

No one ever described his natural appearance.

He had decided to walk to school that morning. He needed the fresh air to clear his head.

Along the way, Connor got a few stares, smiles and whispers. This wasn't unnatural. It made Connor feel worse.

He got to school and walked quickly down the hallway, his head down. When he opened his locker, he found a few notes, all of which he shoved in his bag.

He sighed, leaning against the locker. Why did he have to be born that way? Why couldn't people just see him for who he truly was?

***

C

onnor didn't have any friends and had never been on any dates. Everyone was so focused on what Connor looked like on the outside than getting to know who he was on the inside.

It was lunch period. He wasn't hungry, but went to the cafeteria anyway, hoping to get some alone time and write or draw.

At least, that was the plan until he saw him.

He was sitting by himself at a table outside, under a tree, eating a sandwich. He had blonde hair and was so cute, Connor wondered if the boy had the same curse.

Connor felt bad for him. He was sitting all alone, no one to talk to, no one there for him.

He walked up to the boy and gestured to the seat across from him. "Mind if I sit here?" Connor asked.

The boy blinked, staring at Connor for a moment, before shaking his head quickly. "No, n-no! Go ahead." He smiled nervously. Connor smiled back and sat down.

"I'm Connor."

"E-Evan."

Connor saw that he had a cast on his arm. It was blank and empty. A few threads were loose as if they'd been picked at.

"I d-don't mean to s-s-sound weird or creepy or wh-whatever," Evan started. "But your, um, eyes a-are really cool. It's h-heterochromia, right?"

Connor didn't answer for a moment. He looked at Evan in disbelief. No one had ever described him as having heterochromia before.

"Yeah..." Connor answered, clearing his throat.

"The brown s-specks are really c-cool and look really p-pretty with the blue." Evan then groaned and put his head in his hands. "Uh, sorry, th-that probably sounded really creepy. Sorry."

"No, no, it's cool," Connor said. He was still very confused. "This might seem like a weird question, but could you describe what I look like?"

"Oh, okay, I-I guess. You have brown and b-blue eyes- heterochromia- and long brown hair. Not v-very long, but st-still, like, long. You're also quite t-tall, and kind of pale. I don't mean t-to creep you out or anything, but y-you're quite, um, attractive."

Connor stared at Evan for so long that he began to blush. "Sorry. I-I creeped you out, d-didn't I?"

Connor slowly shook his head. He smiled at Evan, then softly began to cry.

"Are you c-crying?" Evan asked.

"No," Connor said quietly.

"I'm sorry. Did I-I say something wr-wrong?"

"The complete opposite." Connor looked up at Evan, his eyes glistened with tears, a small smile on his face.

***

About a month later, Connor and Evan went on their first date. On that date, Connor told him about the curse.

Evan believed every word.

Maybe it wasn't really a curse. After all, it had helped him find Evan Hansen.

A/N: Okay so a bit of a mini rant, I apologise. I've been really upset lately. Why don't I have any friends? Why won't anyone talk to me? Why doesn't anyone like me at all? Am I that unlikable? Do they hate me that much? Why am I so freakin alone? Why is depression a thing? Why is anxiety a thing? Why is mental illness a thing?

Sorry about that.

Anyway!

Take it easy!

-Em <3