Birthday

"Abby, wake up," Connor whispered to his daughter, shaking her awake.

"No."

"Come on, Abigail!" Connor sighed. "We have to get up before dad wakes up."

"Why?" The five year-old whined.

"It's his birthday! Come on, get up!"

Abigail's eyes immediately opened and she jumped out of bed. "I'll go wake up Charlie!" She yelled, running to her younger sister's room.

"Charlie! Wake up!" Abby said, dragging her sister out of bed and onto the floor.

"Ow..." she pouted, rubbing her head. "Papa!" She yelled, running to Connor. "Abby hurt me!"

Abigail walked out of the room, an innocent look on her face. "No, I didn't..."

"Abigail Paige Hansen," he started. "Did you hurt your sister?"

"I only pulled her out of bed to wake her up!"

Connor chuckled. Charlie stamped her foot. "It's not funny!" She whined.

"No, it's very funny," Connor laughed.

Charlie's bottom lip quivered and she began to cry. Connor immediately stopped laughing and knelt down beside her.

"I'm sorry, Charlie... it's okay." He wrapped her arms around her. "Shh... it's okay."

Charlie sniffled and rubbed her eyes, still pouting.

"Hey, how about we go make breakfast for dad?" Connor suggested.

The two girls nodded and raced each other down the stairs.

"Let's make pancakes!" Charlie exclaimed.

"Chocolate chip pancakes!" Abby said, jumping up and down.

Connor got out all the ingredients for pancakes and began to measure everything, placing it in a bowl.

Charlie picked up an egg, examining it closely. She then turned around and threw it at the wall. Yolk went everywhere.

Connor threw his arms up in the air. "Really, Charlie?"

Charlie giggled.

Connor sighed, retrieving the roll of paper towel from under the sink and walking over to the wall, cleaning it.

Abby began laughing too. She picked up the other egg and threw it at Connor's back. It splattered all over the back of his hoodie.

He stiffened. "This is where we draw the line."

He went upstairs to get changed, Charlie and Abby following close behind.

He got to his and Evan's bedroom door. "Stay out here," he whispered. "Dad's asleep."

He quietly walked in, where Evan lay asleep. He was snoring quietly and peacefully. Connor smiled at how cute he was. He went to the dresser to pick out some clothes. Connor decided to dress nicely for the occasion. He threw on a black dress shirt and black pants. He even brushed his hair.

He walked back out the room, where the two girls still stood.

"We want to dress up, too!" Abby said, smiling.

Connor smiled back.

"Me first!" Charlie said, running to her room. Connor and Abby followed.

Connor went through her dresser and pulled out a pair on dark blue jeans with pink butterflies on the bottom and a peach coloured shirt with flower lace on the shoulders. "Is this okay?" He asked, showing Charlie. She nodded.

Connor helped her get dressed and then brushed her sandy blonde hair, the same colour as Evan's.

He got two butterfly hairties and put her hair in two pigtails.

Charlie looked at herself in the mirror, smiling. She walked over to her jewelry box on her dresser and pulled out a white butterfly necklace. "I want to wear this, too!"

Connor smiled and took the necklace, putting it around her neck and fiddling with the clasp for a bit.

"My turn!" Abby said once Charlotte was ready. She ran to her room, pulling out a navy blue polkadot dress from her closet. "I want to wear this!" Connor went to go help her, but she protested. "I can do it myself!"

Connor held his hands up in surrender and backed away. Abby pulled on her dress. "Can you please make my hair look pretty?"

Connor nodded and grabbed her hair brush, brushing her long, brown hair that was the same colour as his own.

He took a black headband with a bow on it and put it on the girl's head.

She twirled in her dress, admiring herself in the mirror.

***

"Happy birthday!" Connor, Abigail and Charlie yelled when Evan walked down the stairs.

"What's all this?" He asked sleepily.

A plate of heart shaped choc chip pancakes sat on the table. Abby clutched a handmade card, and Charlie gripped onto a macaroni necklace. Connor held an envelope.

Abby and Charlie rushed forward to give their dad a hug. He kissed them both on the head.

Abby handed him a card. Inside was a picture of the four of them that she drew. She had written "DAD" at the top. Charlie had also contributed to the card by scribbling. "It's a tree," she said proudly.

Evan smiled, looking like he was about to cry. Charlie gave him the necklace. The pieces of macaroni had been painted and assembled in rainbow order.

"I painted them," Abby said.

"I put it together," Charlie added.

Evan smiled and put the necklace on. "Thank-you, girls."

Connor stepped forward, handing him the envelope. "Happy birthday."

Evan slowly and carefully opened the envelope. He pulled out the contents.

Two tickets for Groundhog Day on Broadway.

Connor smiled. "You probably don't remember, but the day you told me you liked me, we-"

"Listened to Groundhog Day," Evan nodded. "I pointed out that the main characters were named Phil Connors and Rita Hanson. You said you shipped us."

"You remember."

"Of course I do." A single tear rolled down Evan's cheek and he pulled Connor into a kiss.

After a moment, they felt Abby and Charlie hugging them.

A/N: Abigail and Charlotte Hansen.
I love them.

Speaking of adorable children, I've decided I'm going to write a book with Lily as the main character! I'll let you know when I publish the first chapter.