Celebrity Crush

A/N: This was requested by DemonPhannieXD

AU where Evan is in The Book of Mormon and Connor is in Newsies. They meet in a coffee shop and it's gay.

Usually, Evan wasn't a very confident person.

Sure, he'd gotten better over the past few years, but there was still an occasional stutter in everyday conversations.

Years ago, he joined an Amateur Theatre Group to gain more confidence. At first, he kept to himself. He didn't really participate in group activities, and he never auditioned for the annual musical.

Gradually, he stepped out of his little bubble and gained confidence. He auditioned for musicals, usually getting the lead.

Now, years later, at the age of 20, he was somehow on Broadway.

It was incredible how he'd transformed. He used to be a quiet boy who would only sing when he was alone and would avoid public speaking at all costs. Now, he was on Broadway

He still wasn't great with public speaking, however for some reason it was easier to perform in front of people.

He was playing Elder Cunningham in The Book of Mormon, and he fortunately had that night off. What was he going to do with his night off? Spend it on Broadway, of course.

He had a ticket for Newsies and was really looking forward to it. It was supposed to be amazing.

There were 5 hours until the show, and Evan was standing in a crowded cafè. He didn't like it one bit. There were so many people and he felt a lot of anxiety.

A few people had asked for a picture with him, obviously recognising him from The Book of Mormon, leaving everyone else staring at him, wondering who he was.

"Evan Hansen?" The barista called. He moved through the crowd to get his coffee, thanked the barista, then made his way to the only available table in the cafè. His old friend, Jared, was supposed to be meeting him soon and they were going to see the show together, which made Evan happy as he hadn't seen Jared in a while.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and sipped his coffee, scrolling through Instagram, when a voice made him look up.

"Hey, you're Evan, right? From The Book of Mormon?"

The source of the voice was a tall boy with shoulder length brown hair. Evan thought he was really cute.

"Um, yes. I am." Evan smiled.

"That's awesome! I saw it the other night for, like, the third time. It was amazing. You were amazing." The boy was grinning.

Evan giggled. "Thanks. Do you want to sit?" He gestured to the seat in front of him.

"Oh, I would, but I have somewhere to be, and I'm already late," he said. "it was nice to meet you. Hopefully I'll see you around."

"Yeah, see you."

The boy gave him a small, awkward wave and quickly walked away.

"I just want you to know that I saw- and heard- everything that just happened." Someone sat across from him. Jared.

"Hey, Jared, nice to see you," Evan said.

"Yeah, yeah, I missed you, it's been so long, blah blah blah," Jared rolled your eyes. "Let's cut to the chase: He's gay for you. You're gay for him. Go be gay."

"What?"

Jared sighed. "He's gay for y-"

"No, no, I heard you, but we only just met? That makes no sense," he said, confused.

"You only just met him. He's clearly know who you are for a while. It's called a celebrity crush."

"I'm not a celebrity."

"In the Broadway World, you are. Trust me."

"Whatever."

***

Jared and Evan had seats in the second row. It was amazing seeing the show so up close. It was also amazing seeing a certain someone Evan recognised.

The boy from the coffee shop.

He was an amazing singer and dancer. He played Morris Delancey and he was incredible.

During intermission, Evan looked at the Playbill to find his name. He eventually found it.

Morris Delancey... Connor Murphy.

Connor Murphy. Evan would have to remember that. 

"Hey, Evvy, what are you doing?" Jared asked.

"Nothing," Evan said quickly, his face going red. Jared raised an eyebrow. Evan sighed.

"Fine. The boy from the coffee shop plays Morris Delancey. I was seeing what his name is."

Jared laughed. "Seriously? That was him?" 

Evan nodded. "I'm ninety eight percent sure."

***

Evan and Jared took the subway back to Evan's apartment.

"So, are you going to stalk him or something?" Jared asked.

"What? No!" Evan said. He looked around the carriage to make sure no one heard what Jared had said.

"Sure..."

"I'm not! I just wanted to see what his name was."

"Right. That's what they all say."

Evan sighed in frustration, which made Jared laugh.

"Hey! Evan!" Evan heard a voice call from behind him. Jared smirked because he was facing the source of the voice. 

"Speak of the devil..." he said.

Evan turned around to see Connor walking towards them. "Oh! Hey, Connor."

Connor raised an eyebrow. "How'd you know my name?"

"Oh. Right." Evan reached for the Playbill that was beside him. He showed Connor.

"Oh." Connor chuckled.

"That was a bit creepy. Sorry."

"No, no, don't apologise."

"You were great, by the way." Evan smiled.

"Thanks." Connor smiled back.

"Um, could you please...?" Evan held out the Playbill.

"Oh! Sure." Connor chuckled and pulled out a pen, taking the Playbill from Evan. He wrote something and then gave it back to him. "Well, I have to go now. This is my stop. I'll see you around!" Connor walked away and got off the train.

Evan looked at the Playbill and smiled. Connor had written his phone number.

When Jared saw it, he made one of his typical Jared Kleinman comments. 

"That's pretty gay."