They Both Die at the End

A/N: Okay so this is an AU based off They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera. It's a very good book and it's very gay and I love it. 10/10 would recommend.

Evan was lying in bed, sleeping, when he heard his phone ringing.

His alarm clock read 12:01. He rubbed his eyes. Who would call him so early? Who would call him at all?

The phone then stopped ringing. Not long after, Evan's mother, Heidi, burst into the room. A few tears where streaming down her cheeks. "Sweetie! Are you okay?"

"What?" Evan asked groggily.

"I-I heard the alert."

"The alert?"

His phone began to ring again, and he realised it wasn't his usual ringtone. It was one he had heard on the news and in movies. It was the alert.

Sure enough, the ID read Death-Cast. He picked up his phone, his hand shaking. He swiped the screen to accept the call.

"H-Hello?"

"Hello, may I speak with Evan Hansen?" The voice on the other end said.

"This is him."

Heidi began to cry more.

"Hi there, Evan. My name is Vicki. I regret to inform you that sometime in the next twenty-four hours you'll be meeting an untimely death. And while there isn't anything we can do to suspend that, you still have a chance to live."

Evan began to cry as Vicki listed some activities he could do that day that weather would permit. She also told him about a website he could go to to fill out special requests for his funeral.

"Evan, on behalf of everyone here at Death-Cast, we are so sorry to lose you. Live this day to the fullest, okay?"

"O-Okay," Evan said softly. He hung up, then threw his phone at the wall, sobbing.

Heidi was sobbing too and rushed over to Evan, hugging him tight.

"It's n-not fair," he cried.

"This is all bullshit!" Heidi screamed. She kissed his forehead multiple times.

"I'd force you to stay in your bed all day with me sitting here to make sure nothing bad happened," she sniffed. "But I can't do that. You need to live this day to the fullest. I'll go cancel my shift and then we can talk some more, okay?"

Evan nodded as his mother left. He then slowly got out of bed, still trying to process it all, and retrieved his phone. He then went straight back to bed.

Evan had heard about an app called Last Friend. People who had recieved the alert- Deckers- would have the opportunity to meet up with other Deckers to live out the day. They could also meet with non-Deckers who were willing to lend a hand.

Evan went to the App Store and downloaded Last Friend. It downloaded instantaneously.

Evan set up a profile.

Dying Today... Not Dying Today.

Dying Today.

Name: Evan Hansen
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 160lbs
Orientation: Bisexual
Job: Part time apprentice park ranger
Interests: Trees, musicals, writing
Favourite Movies/ TV Shows/ Books: N/A/Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Who You Were in Life: A teenage boy who no one noticed.
Bucket List: Climb the tallest, highest tree at the orchard, have confidence to sing in front of someone, kiss or at least confess my feelings to my crush
Final Thoughts: You've gotta grab the moment while the moment's good.