Murphy

A/N: Happy dog day!

This is a shorter chapter. Sorry.

Evan walked around the main street, bored out of his mind.

He had been let off work early and Abby and Charlie hadn't yet finished school (however Connor said he would pick them up), so he had nothing to do.

He sat at a bench, cupping his hot chocolate with both hands to warm them up. It was spring and wasn't even that cold, but his hand were always freezing.

Evan was like that. Even if it was the hottest summer night, he couldn't sleep without being bundled in a blanket.

He sat for a few minutes, sipping his hot chocolate and reading a book on iBooks. It was about trees and was quite interesting.

He read two chapters and then shoved his phone in his pocket, just sitting, lost in his mind.

Suddenly he saw something that caught his attention.

He got up, smiling. He knew that he would probably regret it later, but that didn't stop him.

***

Abby and Charlie were sitting on the couch, watching a TV show of some sort.

Connor wasn't paying attention. He was marking papers from his art class, which he held for teenagers every Thursday and Sunday. Most of the students hated doing theory work and so did Connor, but it had to be done.

"I don't want to watch this anymore," Charlie announced, leaning across Abby to grab the remote.

Abby also grabbed the remote, pulling it towards her. "But I do!"

"But I've seen it before," Charlie complained.

"I haven't!"

Connor sighed, scribbling an 87% on Marco's paper before putting the rest down and standing up.

"Can you girls just agree on something?" He said.

"But I want to watch-" Abby began to complain.

"No arguing. Why don't you watch a movie?" He suggested. "What about Beethoven?" Both Abby and Charlie loved that movie, however they shook their heads.

"What about The Little Mermaid?" Connor knew they were also huge fans on Disney, and they nodded, smiling.

Abby stood up to set the movie up and Connor sat down to continue marking his papers.

About halfway into the movie, Connor heard the door open. Evan was home.

He smiled a bit at the distraction. He'd been marking papers for a while now and he knew Evan would help him take a break.

He looked up to see Evan standing in the doorway to the living room.

Clutching a small dog.

"Okay, one: I can explain," Evan said, slightly blushing. "Two: we're naming him Murphy."

Abby and Charlie turned around and saw the puppy, jumping up and running to Evan. They giggled and pat the dog.

Connor sighed. "Why, Tree Boy?"

"I was bored and saw this little guy in the window of a pet store," he explained. "He was the last left of his breed in the store and my heart melted. I thought that he was adorable, so I adopted him."

Connor stood and slowly shook his head. This definitely seemed like something Evan would do.

He pat the puppy's golden fur. It was soft.

"What breed is he?" He asked Evan.

"Pomeranian," Evan responded. "I have dog bowls, food, toys and stuff for him in the car. Please, can we keep him?"

Abby and Charlie looked up at Connor. "Please?" They asked in unison.

Connor took the puppy from Evan's arms. He cradled him close to his chest as the dog excitedly licked his face. They all laughed.

"Well, Murphy," Connor said. "Welcome home."